lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
FryeClub91
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Why does an exciting coil die

Hello, I'm doing a rebuild on a 91 DS 341cc KF82 flathead. I pulled the motor and replaced a few things in the crankcase. After putting everything back I had no spark. Battery is strong, starter runs fine. I tested the exciter coil via the 3 prong connector coming from behind the flywheel as per the manual. The ground tested find, but no reading when testing resistance between red and brown. Manual says to replace the exciting coil so I'm looking for that now. I'm a bit concerned I'm going to replace that part and short it out again because I haven't found the root cause. I believe its original...so 30 years...I guess it could just been coincidence. Any thoughts on what causes a exciter to die and things I should double check before firing it back up again? Thanks.
FryeClub91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Why does an exciting coil die

I don't think there's a solid reason that any of us can point to for the failure. Just wear out over time I would imagine.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
FryeClub91
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks - I just hate how it happened after I put everything back together again.

Fingers crossed for round 2...coil is on the way.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #4
xltaylor
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Might as well take the old one out and check for a broken wire. Skin the insulation right as it goes goes into the coil and probe from there.
xltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
FryeClub91
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the hint xltaylor. I looked at wires, all good there. However it does look like I gave the connection on the coil a good whack somewhere along the way. The wire and the blob-like glue/sealant was shifted and a bit lose. I wiggled it back and it started registering resistance again. Looks like my general clumsiness cost me some $$$ as the new coil is already installed and running great. So I guess the answer to my original question of why an exciting coil would die is just me not being careful (nitwit). There are no coincidences.

Tags
1991, club car, exciter coil, exciting coil
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car