lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #21
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: fighting electrical meltdown 91 Yamaha G8A

The manual has a check list of wiring options to check that leads one to 'replace the Ignitor" BUT - I Still have a slight contact ( not dead short ) between the Brown wire and ground, somewhere. The Brown wire is energized by the key switch, and feed power to the "Pedal" switch. Gonna have to unwrap the mess, and re-re-look at the mess. **** .

BTW, the Key switch has a lot of referenced to Off, Check, and Start positions. My key is either on or off. The check seems to be the Oil level gauge in the block - that feeds a green wire to the Ignitor. What does the ignitor do with this signal ( or lack thereof - I assume it's triggered if the float in the block drops do to low oil level??) so the green wire should be null unless out of oil? ???

Any Ideas??? going back in tomorrow. Thanks anyway, Chiro..(grr)
MTTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2021, 08:28 PM   #22
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Majority of the time an oil level switch grounds to the block. So in this case if the oil gets too low it grounds the igniter which prevents spark.

When multiple wires melt the suggestion is usually a bad ground, but it could also mean that those wires were part of a connected circuit which was shorted to positive somewhere. Better identification of where those wires go could help determine the primary cause that made them go up in smoke.
Were any of those wires grounded to the frame or battery somewhere? (Maybe you said already but I didn’t catch it reading through the thread)

A better alternative to roasting fuses while trying to find a short is to use an automotive type light bulb as a test light. (Or use an incandescent type test light) Use jumpers to put the leads for the test light in the terminals where the fuse would go. When a short is present the light will burn, and when you find the short or disconnect the shorted circuit the light will go out.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:53 PM   #23
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

FairTax - Got to it this pm, after visual on some of the replaced wiring.

SO, Key on, only connection is to the 2 terminals on the Relay. Hit the Start/Stop switch, and the test light glows nice and bright.

The resistance across those terminals is about 20 ohms - close to spec , per the Yamaha manual. ?? Gonna order up a new solenoid.

In the "fuse" test, this is when it would blow, Immediately on pressing the 'pedal'. I mean ****, all the wiring has been restrung, ew starter gen/ Voltage Regular, new Ignitor ( which I haven't put power to, as I don't want to fry THAT. ) ERGO, those shouldn't be shorting out, When /If I plug 'em all in and 'try again'. Just, grrr . Thanks for your input.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:33 PM   #24
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

How many wires are on the start/stop switch?
Were any of the cooked wires going to that switch?
Old 11-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #25
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The fact that the test light turns on when you step on the pedal means the short is still there.

As I said before, unplug one thing at a time. If it’s not the problem, plug it back in before moving on to the next component.

Then step on the pedal. Note which thing makes the test light NOT go on and report back.

Ignition coil
Voltage regulator
Relay/solenoid
Ignition pickup coil
Starter/generator small red wire
Starter/generator small green wire
Ignitor (do this one last)
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #26
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
How many wires are on the start/stop switch?
Were any of the cooked wires going to that switch?
Start/stop switch on a Yamaha is a much simpler setup than club car. You have a pedal switch that feeds power to the coil, solenoid, ignitor, etc. only one microswitch to deal with, and it powers up everything. It gets power from the key switch. Only way to find a shorted component is to unplug things, one thing at a time until it goes away. And the ignitor activates half of the stuff, so unplug it last. Unplugging all the other stuff before unplugging the ignitor should rule out the possibility that unplugging the ignitor “fixes” the short, just to have it continue to short once you replace the ignitor.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:49 PM   #27
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

CP and FairTax- S/Stop has 2 wires, the brown and Red/White run from the Start Stop.
My entire problem was / is a complete Meltdown of GROUND Wires. I.E.
1: The Pickup coil
2. A Frame to A1( Gen) ground, with a tie into the wiring harness. AND Then
3. All White Wires in the Aux Circuits - Primarily the Turn signals - Which were NOT activated during the Initial melt. From the Negative Battery Terminal forward to and through the wiring harness to the turn signals.

4- "History" what was Weird -I'm doing usual 28+ mph heading home, and felt like I hit a massive Head Wind- speed Immediately dropped about 1/3+. Limped Home, kept running until I parked it! Yes it smelled smokey, No I wasn't gonna stop and look. I initially thought, gas is low, it's 'dirty and clogged the Carb. that's what it felt like.

Yeah - Just to CLARIFY, There was Nothing connected except the Solenoid.

There are 2 wires from the S/S switch.
1. Brown is switched power from the Key. In all previous "tests" key on, Everything connected, nothing blew until I hit the "Pedal".

R/W Other wire from S/S i- goes direct to Ignitor. ( Which Was NOT connected today ! < ergo solenoid should not activate without the ignitor, in the circuit. >!

from Ignitor
a; white/red, white/black and Ground go to the PickUP Coil (WHICH had a totally fried Ground wire, had to replace the pickup coil).
b: and the ground from the Ignitor ties to the V/Reg and to the ground side of the Solenoid.

Only the solenoid was connected in this maze. ??

I'll recheck tomorrow, but sure I had all unconnected 'cept the Solenoid .
< Which Should NOt have gotten a signal...??? >
Old 11-21-2021, 06:10 PM   #28
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

RE testing - All connectors undone. attach 2 wire connector to the low amp terminals on the Relay. key on, pedal, test light across "fuse block' no light.

attach the ground wire in the harness to ground at frame and Batt cable. key on, pedal test light lights up. Didn't hear the relay click either, but that is supposed to be energized from the Ignitor via a brown wire to the V/Reg then red/white to the Relay. Neither were in the test circuit.

Now I would kinda expect the light to lite, when the neg terminal on the Relay is grounded , via harness. BUT where is it getting power, and where is it shorting out, if it's ( the Relay) a stand alone in the test circuit?

Yes, i stripped and checked that wiring harness for any melt and /or cross shortings.

Hmmm, the start/Stop ( pedal) is powered by the Brown wire off the Key, fed by the Red wire, key on, Which comes from the fuse block being tested. .
Old 11-21-2021, 07:16 PM   #29
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Just making sure the switch doesn’t have ground contacts which could be shorted in the switch.

If it was all ground wires that melted then that would likely be caused by the main engine ground (from engine to frame) or the ground cable from the starter to frame failing. This will cause a backfeed of the starter current through ANY wire connected to the engine, but usually ground wires that attach to the frame or to the engine somewhere. It can/will also cook any component those wires were attached to. So if the wiring to the igniter fried, the igniter very likely also fried.

On the starter solenoid, is there a diode across the small terminals? That diode needs to be checked as well. (It can simply be removed to test)
Old 11-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #30
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Fairtax... One of the wires that melted, was the ground "wire" from the starter at the neg batt cable "A1" to the frame that grounded the wire from the solenoid / relay. I never found a ground to the Block, and have added 2, with 14 gauge each end of the NEG battery cable to 2 diff points on the block. Would rather have that braided cable, maybe it's still out there???

Seems like it backed up the Neg battery cable, and fried Ground wires in the "street" legal harness.

The start/stop switch is just a 2 wire "relay" activated by the pedal allowing the plunger to drop and cross the 2 wires and activate the circuits. it Test 'good', but I should do another analysis of that sucker ( it's a PITA to get back 'IN ) since it's part of this brown wire problem.

The key switch 'tests' correctly, but ....
Not doing the back a lot of good curled up in the engine bay .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha