lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #1
jdbarton22
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor getting hot

I have a GE motor and a 600 amp dc navitas controller on my precedent. I have upgraded the motor cables to 2 gauge welding cable and I am still getting a lot of heat through my motor cables. I use my cart for hunting primarily but when I drive it I turn the speed all the way down to where I'm at max throttle on the pedal per navitas so it runs cooler/ more efficient. I have taken a wire brush to clean the posts on the motor the best I can but there is still some rust on it but no corrosion. I know that that isn't helping any but can the post be replaced or what else can I do to help because I know the heat isn't good for any of the electronics

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
jdbarton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2021, 10:23 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Motor getting hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbarton22 View Post
I have a GE motor and a 600 amp dc navitas controller on my precedent. I have upgraded the motor cables to 2 gauge welding cable and I am still getting a lot of heat through my motor cables. ....
I had the GE motor on our 2003 DS upgraded to a Plum Quick Bandit.
Here is an excerpt from an email from Plum Quick during our discussions -
"First off, you have the thin can GE style motor I wouldn’t recommend running over a 400 amp controller and run the stock GE field map. Yes, it has a 4 pole high speed magnet. The brush rigging is small in these GE motors and if you’re not careful you’ll burn the brushes up drawing too many amps. The AMD style you can run 6,500 rpm’s, GE around 6,000 max."
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:12 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is getting hot, the motor itself or the 2 gauge wires/terminals? The motor can should not exceed 170 degrees. You can check that with a laser thermometer fairly accurately.

If you are just checking the motor with your hand, normal operating conditions will cause the motor to get pretty hot, hot enough to burn you. This is normal.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Are you seeing any flashing warning lights on the controller when the cables/motor get hot? If the motor is overheating you should see a 1-4 light flash warning.
Did you purchase your motor cables from a reliable source vs. cheap cables?

You mentioned using the cart for hunting. If you are just driving to and from a hunting spot that's one thing. If you are driving short distances very slowly with starts and stops it puts a lot of strain on the motor. That motor does not like to be run at continual slow creeping speeds.

If I am wrong, someone will correct me.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
jdbarton22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
What is getting hot, the motor itself or the 2 gauge wires/terminals? The motor can should not exceed 170 degrees. You can check that with a laser thermometer fairly accurately.

If you are just checking the motor with your hand, normal operating conditions will cause the motor to get pretty hot, hot enough to burn you. This is normal.
The motor does get hot but I can see it's temperature on the navitas app and as long as it's right I haven't had any overheating problems with it. The cables from A1 and A2 are what's getting hot and A2 is typically hotter than A1 if that matters. I built the cables myself from high strand count welding wire and tinned copper lugs so from what I've read I should have very minimal heat with that size cable but that's not the case

Old 11-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
jdbarton22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Are you seeing any flashing warning lights on the controller when the cables/motor get hot? If the motor is overheating you should see a 1-4 light flash warning.

Did you purchase your motor cables from a reliable source vs. cheap cables?

You mentioned using the cart for hunting. If you are just driving to and from a hunting spot that's one thing. If you are driving short distances very slowly with starts and stops it puts a lot of strain on the motor. That motor does not like to be run at continual slow creeping speeds.

If I am wrong, someone will correct me.
See my previous post about motor overheating and cables. I do know the regen carts don't like to creep and I have to sometimes just because the golf cart isn't the smoothest ride but I turn my controller top speed all the way down so max speed is about 11 mph when I'm trying to go slower to help the motor temp. It still got hot one time I took it down the road but there are some pretty long steep hills around so I figured that was to be expected

Old 11-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbarton22 View Post
The motor does get hot but I can see it's temperature on the navitas app and as long as it's right I haven't had any overheating problems with it. The cables from A1 and A2 are what's getting hot and A2 is typically hotter than A1 if that matters. I built the cables myself from high strand count welding wire and tinned copper lugs so from what I've read I should have very minimal heat with that size cable but that's not the case

What temperature are you reading on the motor? Does the A2 wire just feel hotter than A1 or are you able to measure the voltage? A2 is battery+ and A1 is battery-. This is the armature and receives most of the current during operation.

F1 and F2 are usually smaller wires and provide field current. They should not get hot.

With 2 gauge wires, the maximum ampacity is 205. You may be running close to that climbing the steep hills. Unless the insulation starts melting, I wouldn't be too concerned. The insulation temperature rating is 194 degrees F. If you can touch the wire briefly and not get burned, it is nowhere near that temperature. 194 degrees will fry you.

I'd say, you don't have much to worry about at this point. Your motor and wires are fine. The motor should be under 170 degrees.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Double post
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do the 5 second check. If you can hold your hand on the motor for a count of 5 seconds it's ok. Or better yet replace that 20 old motor with a modern one to match the Navita. You can do it now or wait until you get stuck out in the woods.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There's not much to a stock GE motor anyway, and your running a 600 amp controller. I think a little hot is to be expected. 400 amp is a plenty for any stock motor. We're you thinking of eventually getting a bigger motor when you went with the 600 amp? If so you may want look at doing that soon.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car