lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #111
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G29/YDR/Drive Club thread

I was hoping to hear back from dbmachine about the questions he asked about my cart. After adjusting the valves, cleaning the carburetor and adding the exhaust extension, I have noticed that the sparkplug is black (like running rich) and the throttle has some hesitation when trying to accelerate at mid speed. It will even try to drop flat if I push the pedal to the floor to quickly at mid speed. This morning I removed the new exhaust extension and the hesitation still persist, so I don’t know if it has anything to do with the valve adjustment, cleaning the carburetor or tightening the governor nut down all the way. I will remove the carburetor again and check the gaskets and the spacer to see is air is getting in ahead of the carburetor. When I cleaned the carburetor I did remove the plastic cap on the pilot screw and backed it out a quarter turn past where is was originally could this be why it is running rich and hesitating at mid speed acceleration.
Not wanting not to be able to continue using the exhaust extension I decided to upsize it to ¾” EMT tubing which is the size others are using and not take a chance of losing performance now or in the future with some performance upgrades. I took the original ½” pipe that was too short but would fit the exhaust outlet and used it to make an adaptor for the ¾” tubing. To take up the space between the ½” and ¾” tubing I cut a short section of ¾” tubing and kept taking slices out of the side of it until it would fit inside the ¾” tubing. This was a perfect fit for the ½” tubing and it fit in there tightly. All I had to do was to run a small bead of flux core wire around the connection and I am good to go. Here is a pic of the two pipes and the clamp for comparison.
Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exaust 3.JPG (27.3 KB, 0 views)
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #112
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEdition View Post
I was hoping to hear back from dbmachine about the questions he asked about my cart. After adjusting the valves, cleaning the carburetor and adding the exhaust extension, I have noticed that the sparkplug is black (like running rich) and the throttle has some hesitation when trying to accelerate at mid speed. It will even try to drop flat if I push the pedal to the floor to quickly at mid speed. This morning I removed the new exhaust extension and the hesitation still persist, so I don’t know if it has anything to do with the valve adjustment, cleaning the carburetor or tightening the governor nut down all the way. I will remove the carburetor again and check the gaskets and the spacer to see is air is getting in ahead of the carburetor. When I cleaned the carburetor I did remove the plastic cap on the pilot screw and backed it out a quarter turn past where is was originally could this be why it is running rich and hesitating at mid speed acceleration.
Not wanting not to be able to continue using the exhaust extension I decided to upsize it to ¾” EMT tubing which is the size others are using and not take a chance of losing performance now or in the future with some performance upgrades. I took the original ½” pipe that was too short but would fit the exhaust outlet and used it to make an adaptor for the ¾” tubing. To take up the space between the ½” and ¾” tubing I cut a short section of ¾” tubing and kept taking slices out of the side of it until it would fit inside the ¾” tubing. This was a perfect fit for the ½” tubing and it fit in there tightly. All I had to do was to run a small bead of flux core wire around the connection and I am good to go. Here is a pic of the two pipes and the clamp for comparison.
Robert
I would bet that your issues lie in the carb. It seems like you are experiencing 2 polar opposite conditions. The black spark plug does indicate a rich running condition, but the midrange bog on acceleration is indicative of a lean-out condition. It's possible to have both if your idle circuit is too rich, and the power circuit is lean. I would tear down the carb again, making sure to remove all of the jets and their atomizers and make sure they are all free of crud. Make sure all gaskets are smooth and clean, and that the float level is correct.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #113
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Sorry for not updating back. Been at the lake house boating and chasing the kids on the wave runners all weekend. If I recall the plastic cap on the adjustment screw is there for emissions. I believe the factory setting is at 1.5turns from seated. If you install a plowmans performance kit he recommends to go 1.75 turns from seated because of the larger jets that you must use with his kit. The 2 kits I've installed on the g29 carts I had the slight bogging your experiencing at mid range and I had to go a full 2 turns out from seated to eliminate the issue. Also it would be a good idea to check your valves again. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get them just right. For the plowmans kits don wants the valves set to .008 on a hot engine. The times I've adjusted these they would be spot on perfect at the time of adjustment then when I would check them a week later on a hot engine they would be just a smidge off again. Also something you haven't mentioned you could adjust your throttle linkage to make sure your getting full opening of the butterfly on the carb.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #114
dbmachine
Gone Wild

One more thing that has given me issues in the past in the carb is the mixture jet that inside the bowl section of the carb. The main jet will be screwed into the tube. Inside the tube you will need a skinny flathead to remove the jet that's up inside this tube. It has about 10-12 tiny holes that most of mine will get clogged and either not allow the cart to crank or ran very rough. It's worth a shot, but you may have already removed this piece I'm speaking of already.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #115
uiuwrestler125
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Please Help.

I a m new to this forum because it appears there are a lot of informed people that visit this site and may be able to help me.

I bought a 09 Yamaha drive Top speed 11-12 mph... I researched that a speed spring can be bought to increase speed to 16-18 mph which I would like since I do drive it from my house to the course 1.5 miles away up hill. While going step by step to replace stock spring with speed spring( it goes with the governor) I noticed that I cant get the old spring out( welded in there it appears). So I put it all back together the same way I took it apart. Except now The cart goes a screaming 23mph( screaming because it revs high). That is not what I want. I re took it apart and put it back again and still 23. I even loosened the governor nut all he way and got it to 22 but still not desired. Is it possible the throttle cable is pulled somewhere making it go that fast or some other issue I can try to resolve? I am no mechanic but this was suppose to be simple. I am handy and can follow directions pretty well. I just want to get back to the 11-12 mph and be happy with it. I appreciate all your help with this
uiuwrestler125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #116
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

let the nut behind the wheel control the speed

btw my g-29 with 13'' wheels will go 30+
I just back off a bit and go the legal 20mph on our streets
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #117
uiuwrestler125
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ha-ha. I like it. I have no problem with the speed just the fact that it revs really high.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #118
uiuwrestler125
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

did anyone find a place to get decals that fit in the Yamaha lettering on the rocker panel sides. I think it would look cool with the lettering done in the same color as my cart to give it more curb appeal. I'm talking about the letters on the plastic piece that does along the bottom.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #119
clmidrive
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Im getting my cart painted this fall and would like some for mine to
clmidrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #120
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hey all! I am now an owner of a 2011 drive that I picked up for the wife at the campground to tool around in... got the windshield and rear flip seat installed.

the long term plan is to have it lifted/painted so she looks good cruising around.

for now I need to get the basic maintenance out of the way and was looking for some tips.

oil: I'm probably going to mobil 1 synthetic base on what others have posted
transaxle: will use the recommended Yamahalube friction modified shaft drive gear oil

Question: manual doesn't show where the drain plug for the transaxle.. jut the service plug at the top. anyone go a picture of where the drain is and how easy is it to access?

tune up: dealer gave me the kit with air/fuel filters and spark plug- simple replacements.

brakes, seem to work fine so not going to mess with these at this time, but will remove the access panel to make sure the area is clean under your feet.

the manual doesn't call out anything else to lube.. my g9 has lube points on the clutches..

is there anything else I should be checking on or looking at to help keep it running smooth?

I will probably do the minor adjustment to get a little more top speed but don't really need it for how we are using it.

Thanks in advance for the advice. these forums are a great help. Has been priceless for me with my g9 and am willing to bet it will be the same for our g29.

Belt: replace with new,
QB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha