lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Mishael
Not Yet Wild

Default Dial Tach-Would it work for GC engine?

Sorry to post so much, but i have lots of questions and this one is far out of my league and the internet seems to not have much on this one. I like this tach specifically because it is cheap, it is a dial type, and I like that it has a backlight (huge must for me as my cart will be running early mornings and late nights). Attached is the manual and below is the link. It says that it has a switch to change for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders and it has 5 wires. The only issue i see is one of the wires needs to be connected to the positive end of a coil, which small engines do not have. Is there a way to rig this up to work?

Product link: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...ter-98480.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 98480.pdf (251.9 KB, 0 views)
Mishael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Dial Tach-Would it work for GC engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishael View Post
Sorry to post so much, but i have lots of questions and this one is far out of my league and the internet seems to not have much on this one. I like this tach specifically because it is cheap, it is a dial type, and I like that it has a backlight (huge must for me as my cart will be running early mornings and late nights). Attached is the manual and below is the link. It says that it has a switch to change for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders and it has 5 wires. The only issue i see is one of the wires needs to be connected to the positive end of a coil, which small engines do not have. Is there a way to rig this up to work?

Product link: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...ter-98480.html

Not going to work for the following reasons; 1, your golf cart has a magneto ignition and also has a lost spark, ie, one spark /revolution which will require a tach that senses two fires / rev to bring you to true rpm. The other snag, (reason 2), is that the coil doesn't trigger the correct square wave signal to drive a conventional tachometer. If you can wait a few days until final testing has been completed however; A friend and I might be able to solve your issue. How would you like one of these units accurately powered ?
\http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tachometers.aspx

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

one of these http://www.cartpartsplus.com/tachometer-dial-type.html
I have one on my big block cart. look/work great!!!
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vertical View Post
one of these http://www.cartpartsplus.com/tachometer-dial-type.html
I have one on my big block cart. look/work great!!!
Nice tach 4 vert, but what were your options ?

FC
Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Mishael
Not Yet Wild

My bank has been broken here...i have about a month before I need the tach too. I just wish I could get a dial style for under $30. If I can't, is it possible to use the existing governer to set at around 4200-4300? The problem still being that I can't actually set it anywhere because I don't have a contact/laser tach either to set the governer
Mishael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishael View Post
My bank has been broken here...i have about a month before I need the tach too. I just wish I could get a dial style for under $30. If I can't, is it possible to use the existing governer to set at around 4200-4300? The problem still being that I can't actually set it anywhere because I don't have a contact/laser tach either to set the governer
The RPM limiter is fixed by the factory, no adjustment is possible since it's a sealed unit. The rear end governor is adjustable if you know what you are doing but you will need at the very least a mechanical or digital tach to determine where the governor should be set. Catch 22. You can get an Equus tach for around $30 but it will still require a driver to send the correct signal unless you opt for the impulse spark plug wire version as posted earlier. Nothing wrong with that, folks say they work just fine. I just prefer something a little more subtle than a station clock sized instrument dominating my dashboard.
Check this out however, neat install;
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...precedent.html

FC
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car