lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
Sprockit
Not Yet Wild

Default Questions about my new old golf cart

Hello all, I just got my first golf cart. It's an ez go year un known, it's a 2 stroke engine size and hp un known. I plan on doing a predator swap, havent decided on 6.5hp 8hp or 13hp. The drive and driven clutch seem to be in working condition. Would I be able to use the drive clutch on the predator engine? Or will the 4 stroke not rev high enough to get full function out of the drive clutch?
If not... is there a drive clutch available that will work with the factory belt or would I just be better of getting a gokart drive clutch and belt and making it work??
Any information or help would be greatly appreciated
Sprockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Questions about my new old golf cart

Clutches will work fine on a 13hp predator. I'd not recommend a 6.5 or 8hp version. I had one with s 6.5 I put in.

Also you'll have no reverse if it is a 2 stroke.

I'd really recommend fixing the stock engine unless all you're looking for is a "big go kart".
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
Sprockit
Not Yet Wild

So apparently it was equipped with a ec253pg.
Dont need reverse.
Yes basically a gokart
Old 05-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Hey Sprockit, Welcome to the place and what part of the country are you in? The only reason I ask is I know a Sprockit from another forum..........

The 3pg started in 89 or 90 I don't remember but don't throw away any parts of it, some of them are obsolete now so might be worth a little $$$...

You should have a manufacturer tag under the dash on the passenger side footwell that'll tell you the year, the engine should also have a tag. Here's mine for examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190528_093311.jpg (248.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170713_102157_LI.jpg (242.3 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What he said.

I had an 89 I picked up for a couple hundred bucks. Got about 10 minutes of riding out of it once I got it to run and then the engine ate itself (literally). So I yanked it out and put a predator 212 in it for the kids to.drive around last summer. Pull start and all, just like a big go kart.

It actually moved along pretty well for a 6.5hp motor.

I sold off all the parts that were good that you cant find anymore. Reeds are a big one. Folks on here are always looking for good reeds, you cant even find them on ebay often and when you do they're 150-200 bucks. I think I sold them for 60 shipped on here
Carb, muffler, airbox, ignitor, etc. All pretty hard to find and worth some decent money. I sold enough parts to pay for the predator, clutch, and belt so I broke even and the kids had a toy. If I were to do it again I'd get a motor with a 1" shaft, clutch options are WAY more plentiful. The belt you need to make the driven clutch work is too wide for any of the clutches I could find for the 6.5. I had to use an adapter to make it a "bigger shaft" I think 3/4" but I cant remember now.

I can say the 6.5 fit under the seat in a stock cart with no modifications. It was close but it fit. I don't know if the 8hp would fit but I'm certain you'd need a lift to fit the 420.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
Sprockit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Hey Sprockit, Welcome to the place and what part of the country are you in? The only reason I ask is I know a Sprockit from another forum..........

The 3pg started in 89 or 90 I don't remember but don't throw away any parts of it, some of them are obsolete now so might be worth a little $$$...

You should have a manufacturer tag under the dash on the passenger side footwell that'll tell you the year, the engine should also have a tag. Here's mine for examples.
I'm in Oklahoma I also go by sprockit in other forums.
Thank you. I have kept almost all the parts of came with.
Found it thank you.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #7
Sprockit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
What he said.

I had an 89 I picked up for a couple hundred bucks. Got about 10 minutes of riding out of it once I got it to run and then the engine ate itself (literally). So I yanked it out and put a predator 212 in it for the kids to.drive around last summer. Pull start and all, just like a big go kart.

It actually moved along pretty well for a 6.5hp motor.

I sold off all the parts that were good that you cant find anymore. Reeds are a big one. Folks on here are always looking for good reeds, you cant even find them on ebay often and when you do they're 150-200 bucks. I think I sold them for 60 shipped on here
Carb, muffler, airbox, ignitor, etc. All pretty hard to find and worth some decent money. I sold enough parts to pay for the predator, clutch, and belt so I broke even and the kids had a toy. If I were to do it again I'd get a motor with a 1" shaft, clutch options are WAY more plentiful. The belt you need to make the driven clutch work is too wide for any of the clutches I could find for the 6.5. I had to use an adapter to make it a "bigger shaft" I think 3/4" but I cant remember now.

I can say the 6.5 fit under the seat in a stock cart with no modifications. It was close but it fit. I don't know if the 8hp would fit but I'm certain you'd need a lift to fit the 420.
Thank you. That's all I'm doing basically. Just a toy. I went ahead with the 13hp it has electric start and a better charging system. I was planning on using the stock clutch but it would involve cutting the crank shaft so now I've got my eye on a 40 a series driver. I was able to get a 5" lift kit for $80 on ebay and since all the shocks are shot anyway I'm just going to get longer shocks. If that's not enough lift for the engine to fit I will either make a spacer for the seat or remove the gas tank.
Thanks all
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO