lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Pat Case
Not Yet Wild

Default Charge receptacle relay/battery eyelet - can they be purchased separate

I have an electric 2015 EZ Go golf cart that was not charging, as I was checking it out i noticed on the battery connection of the charge receptacle has a rectangle plastic inline relay/fuse that has melted the casing. Went to the local golf cart parts house and was told I had to change the entire receptacle. Has this happened to anyone else and is this part available. Looks like I would be able just to splice a new one on the end since the eyelet is embedded on the end. Thanks
Pat Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charge receptacle relay/battery eyelet - can they be purchased separate

Please post a photo.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charge receptacle relay/battery eyelet - can they be purchased separate

I had to replace one on a neighbor's cart last year. The rectangle is on the gray wire that hooks up to the pack positive. It's a resistor I believe and is there to protect the controller. I bought just the wiring and not the receptacle, but it was still expensive.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

It's not a resistror, it's a reed switch. The charger plug has a magnet inside, so the reed switch opens, which disables the cart, to prevent you from driving away when the charger is plugged in. I've disected several, and they are glass reed switches, potted in a plastic case. When the glass breaks, the shrapnel prevents the switch from closing, rendering the cart dead.

EZGO eliminated this switch a while back. I made the mistake of replacing mine, only to have the replacement fail. I've since bypassed it.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

It is a thermister (temperature sensor) that sends battery temperature information to the circuit board buried in epoxy that is in the charging port. That grey "wire" is a 2 conductor cable inside of a grey outer jacket. You can splice the wires and connect/mount a replacement.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It is a thermister (temperature sensor) that sends battery temperature information to the circuit board buried in epoxy that is in the charging port. That grey "wire" is a 2 conductor cable inside of a grey outer jacket. You can splice the wires and connect/mount a replacement.
Please post a photo of the thermister. It may be a newer feature that I haven't come across. DPI and older Powerwise chargers don't receive that signal. Is this used for LiPo battery packs?
Old 02-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Y -- Bob is correct.

the thermister sends a signal to the OEM charger to adjust the charge profile for temperature of batts.

just order new charge port or cut grey wire and safe up if you use a aftermarket charger.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It is a temp sensor. All the newer DeltaQ chargers use it to modify charge profile based on battery temp. Sensor can be bought seperately pretty cheap from fullriver battery (authorized DeltaQ dealer). And it's not required if you are using a non-DeltaQ charger. It's used on all newer factory lead acids , haven't seen it on lithiums, they monitor temp using different means.

Lol, he beat me to it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180221_125111428.jpg (213.6 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

That's why I love this forum. Always learning new stuff.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What I did learn the hard way is they have different types of those sensors. Some have one wire going in, some have two. Gently strip back the grey sheath and see which you have before you order.. Ask me how I know..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO