lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Jsteves93
Not Yet Wild

Default Taylor Dunn Resistor Coils conversion to Solid State

Hello all,

I recently came into possession of a Taylor Dunn cart, with all original parts intact.

It currently runs well and has 6 6volt batteries hooked up, thus being a 36v system.

For the past month or so, I’ve been acquiring parts to convert the resistor coils to a solid state speed control. After getting stuck on finding what other parts I needed, I turned to google and came across a few posts in the BGW forums, but nothing that outlines how to wire the system all up together.

I currently have the following items purchased (would have been much easier to buy it all as a kit from ScottyB, had I known prior to purchasing these separately):

* 470 ohm resistor
* 3 amp diode
* foot pedal throttle accelerator (green, red, yellow wires)
* universal key switch
* reversing contractor sw202 48v 400amp switch control
* F&R Rocker switch
* 48v MZJ-400A contractor solenoid
* 48v 500A Curtis controller
* all necessary gauge wiring and nuts required to wire the batteries etc together (I do custom car audio on my free time)

I believe I also need to get a new receptacle fuse. What size should I get?

Furthermore, I am unsure as to how to wire everything up, being as this this the first time I go about converting to a solid state.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’ve been trying to get rid of those resistor coils for the longest time!
Jsteves93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Taylor Dunn Resistor Coils conversion to Solid State

to BGW

Converting to a solid state system is one of the best things you can do to an old cart.

Sounds like you have everything you need. What I did when I converted my old Harley was followed the diagram located in the manual for the Curtis controller I was using. Once I got everything together, it all worked like a charm.

As for the charging receptacle, you can choose between several. You can use a Club Car crows foot, EZGO ‘D’, Club Car three prong, etc. I would probably go with the CC crows foot, just because it’s simple and durable.

Have fun!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:22 AM   #3
Jsteves93
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
to BGW

Converting to a solid state system is one of the best things you can do to an old cart.

Sounds like you have everything you need. What I did when I converted my old Harley was followed the diagram located in the manual for the Curtis controller I was using. Once I got everything together, it all worked like a charm.

As for the charging receptacle, you can choose between several. You can use a Club Car crows foot, EZGO ‘D’, Club Car three prong, etc. I would probably go with the CC crows foot, just because it’s simple and durable.

Have fun!

Thank you! I’ve been looking at the wiring diagrams to try and figure it out myself. Reached out to ScottyB to see if I could purchase a detailed wiring diagram from him but he declined, which is understandable. Looks easy enough now though once I actually put some time into understanding how all the components work in unison!
Jsteves93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Take a look at a 1990 EZGO solid state system. One of the easiest to follow
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
chuckklr04
Getting Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Take a look at a 1990 EZGO solid state system. One of the easiest to follow

I;m doing the same with the carts unlimited kit, and the directions could be a lot clearer, with over all pics finished pics of each stage. The directions leave out fact the old dunns dont use solenoids. a newbie gets lost on where locate everything, and what wires go where because all are black, no markings.
chuckklr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #6
chuckklr04
Getting Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsteves93 View Post
Thank you! I’ve been looking at the wiring diagrams to try and figure it out myself. Reached out to ScottyB to see if I could purchase a detailed wiring diagram from him but he declined, which is understandable. Looks easy enough now though once I actually put some time into understanding how all the components work in unison!
Pm me. i'll send you mine.
chuckklr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts