lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #21
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Is a 36v to 48v swap possible

Go with a site sponsor.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2022, 04:04 PM   #22
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Get a reversing contactor, you’ll be glad you did. Search this site and others for custom made cables(welding multi-strand) in the color of your choice, it will save you time and money in the long haul.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:40 AM   #23
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Someone local said I need a resistor and diode specific my solenoid. Something about protecting the controller. Anyone have info on this? My cart doesn't currently have them so I have no idea how they would wire in...
nasfd35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #24
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

While I'm not familiar with your year of cart, I can tell you 48 volts takes a different resistor than 36 volts. You might check with ScottyB he has all the knowledge and parts you'll need.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I will answer this here instead of my email so all can read. Typically a series control uses a precharge resistor to protect itself from the huge inrush of current when it is turned on. This resistor is placed across the 2 large posts on the solenoid. 36v systems use 250-270 ohm resistors, and 48v systems use 470Ω ohm resistors.
A suppression diode is used to arrest the fly back voltage created when the solenoid coil is shut off. This voltage spike can damage many of the components in the cart, including accessories. The diode is installed between the 2 small terminals on the solenoid. Diodes are directional. There is a band on the + end of the diode. This end will go towards the + terminal or wire.
A 1000 volt 1 amp diode is used in most 36v systems. A 3amp 1000v diode is used in most 48v systems. We use a 3a 1000v diode in both systems for simplicity and this is a place where overkill doesn't hurt. All series carts should have a resistor and diode in place. All sepex carts need them too although some have built in precharge functions.

We have all of these components on our solenoid page. Resistors come with with 5/16 or 3/8ths rings and diodes are available with spades or rings to match your solenoid. Please visit the cartsunlimited.net website
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:17 PM   #26
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I will answer this here instead of my email so all can read.
A suppression diode is used to arrest the fly back voltage created when the solenoid coil is shut off.
Thank you for clarifying that. I wasn't sure of the best method of contacting you, I hope I wasn't a bother.

Can you tell me where the diode goes in the system? Do both items connect to the big lugs on the solenoid?
Old 02-10-2022, 04:45 PM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasfd35 View Post
Thank you for clarifying that. I wasn't sure of the best method of contacting you, I hope I wasn't a bother.

Can you tell me where the diode goes in the system? Do both items connect to the big lugs on the solenoid?
The diode is installed between the 2 small terminals on the solenoid. Diodes are directional. There is a band on the + end of the diode. This end will go towards the + terminal or wire.

Typical install
see CU document attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Both Solenoids.JPG (114.8 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:27 PM   #28
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you sir. Parts have been ordered from your site
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO