lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2022, 08:15 PM   #1
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Is a single 48v 30ah lithium battery enough?

I couldn’t find the answer so I’m asking.
I just found a cart for sale with a single 48v 30ah relion lithium battery. He claims he has enough power to hit 40mph and 35-40 mile range. He does have a navitas 5kw ac motor/controller.

Is this enough to run a golf cart? People are recommending at least 72ah, so 2-4 batteries. What would happen on a normal (series club car) cart?
TrevorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2022, 07:58 AM   #2
gyroman
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Is a single 48v 30ah lithium battery enough?

At least one member here has purchased the RoyPow 105ah 48v unit and is very happy.
http://www.roypowusa.com/
gyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I don't think 30Amp is going to get you those numbers. Minimum would be 72A for a golf cart, even then you probably not going to get those numbers. You should plan on replacing or adding battery if you buy. I'm not an engineer, so maybe someone will comment on the technicals of what he told you isn't possible.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #4
Froggyphresh
Not Yet Wild

You're just going to see a very short life with a 40ah battery. As the others stated, I would go for at least 100ah to get 35-40 miles
Froggyphresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:49 AM   #5
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

That’s what I was thinking. He said he hasn’t tested the range because he wants to sell it as brand new.

I’m not buying his cart, but want to convert mine to lithium and don’t need 30 mile range. I’d be happy with 15 miles to be honest. And going lithium for under $1000, you can’t beat it. I just don’t want to underpower my cart by cheaping out. I’d love 72ah, and would probably just bite the bullet. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried lower amp hours.

Thanks guys!!
Old 03-17-2022, 11:05 AM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I, too, contemplated for over a year on getting lithium. Then my charger bit the dust and that gave me reason (excuse) to go ahead. Boy, I am glad I did and wish I had earlier. I will not go back to FLA's. It's not only that they will last 2-3 times as long as FLA, but no more maintenance, lot less wait that gives cart more "pep", charges in 3-4 hrs compared to 8-12 (can do a quick charge of about 1 hr) & and no more acid/corroded cables. You will not regret it, but I would not consider anything less than 72A, I think you will be disappointed.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #7
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Is it just run time or power output? I’m assuming more ah gives you more initial torque.

I have a 36 v now so I’d have to upgrade my solenoid and probably FnR switch. It just adds up.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

There are two factors you need to consider when choosing a lithium battery for your cart. The Ah rating ONLY governs run time, nothing else. if 30Ah will give you the run time you need then go for it.

But.......The second, and more important specification you need to look at is the current rating of the battery, both continuous and peak. Traditionally, a 30Ah battery could provide about 30 continuous amps so I was going to say NO, it was not enough. I did have a look at the specs of the 30Ah Relion battery though as LiFePO4 technology is improving and that little 30Ah battery can supply 100A continuous with 200A peak for 15 seconds.

Now, If your cart was stock I would have said that yes it would probably be OK, but I think even at 100A continuous it still may be undersized for the 5kW Navitas setup. I would go for at least 2.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:33 AM   #9
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you Pat! I’m just starting to seriously look into them. This makes sense and I’ll read more into it now that I know this. Very helpful stuff.

Appreciate it. I would definitely go for 2 if/when I go that route.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts