lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
barndog324
Not Yet Wild

Default Delayed starting

I have about a 92 2cycle Marathon. When I press the gas pedal down, you have to hold the pedal down for like 4 or 5 seconds before the starter even begins turning. I'm a novice when it comes to carts, so I really have no idea where to begin looking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
barndog324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Delayed starting

Welcome to bgw...... 1st thing to check is the condition and tension on the starter belt. Lift the seat, cart in neutral, press the peddle and see if the pulley moves first slipping on the belt ... then grabs the belt when the belt warms up and gets sticky,

Might be the situation....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
barndog324
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I watched the starter belt like you suggested, but it doesn't start turning always when you press on the gas. Sometimes it turns right away (generally when it's cold) and sometimes it just sits there for several seconds and then starts turning. It act electrical to me, but I know zilch about golf carts.
barndog324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

First,remove the belt or place the cart on jack-stands(there is no Nuetral on it)Do you hear the starter solenoid clicking?If so,test for voltage output from the large terminals on the start-solenoid.There are 2 large terminals,one is always "hot" the other activates when you press the pedal.If you do not get voltage on the other stud when the pedal is pushed,the relay is bad.The contacts may be burned on the Forward/Reverse switch.Mark all of the wires and make a diagram,before removing.Remove and disassemble the switch.There are brass contact buttons on the switch and the rotary disc.Take a file and square the contact surfaces(If you are careful and have a bench-grinder with a smooth-stone,you can use the side of it to square them).Over time the contacts burn and distort,causing poor contact and sometimes loss of direction.Be careful when you reassemble it,tighten the handle-stud carefully,working the switch as you tighten it.When it feels a decent drag,stop tightening.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO