lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Joe Fetterhoff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car charging problem

I installed all new batteries in a Club Car serial number AA0437-434030 about 6 weeks ago. The batteries discharged enough after about 2 weeks that the car would not run. I discovered that when we plugged it in to the charger the charger would kick on but only for about 30 or 40 seconds and then kick off. Yes, the batteries are 8 volts. I know that the charger is good because I plugged another Club Car into it and it charges fine and when I plug the problem cart into a different charger I have the same problem so I know the problem is in the cart. I also switched out all the batteries with another cart that the batteries were fully charged (51 volts) and the problem still follows the cart. The batteries that were in the problem cart charged back up fine in the good cart. The problem is still there in the problem cart as the charger will only stay on for a very short time and then goes off. The voltage in the batteries in the problem cart now is down to only 49.1 volts and will continue to drop until I can discover what the problem is and correct it. The battery charge light also comes on in the problem cart. I also followed the steps to reset the on board computer but the problem is still there. Any Ideas what the problem might be? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Fetterhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car charging problem

Well you could try this from CTD.....

to by pass OCB
DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.…do not attempt unless you are familiar with electricity and electronics!
There are two ways to force the charger to turn on regardless of the OBC.

The first method is to disconnect the cart’s gray wire at the fuse near the charger receptacle. Then using a jumper wire, connect the receptacle side of the fused connector to the cart’s negative battery terminal. This will energize the charger’s 48V relay.then plug charger in
Attached Images
File Type: png ocbjump_zps608308f6.png (57.6 KB, 0 views)
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Joe Fetterhoff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I assume the ocb is the obc for on board computer. If I try this and the charger will charge the batteries does that indicate that the obc is bad?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fetterhoff View Post
I assume the ocb is the obc for on board computer. If I try this and the charger will charge the batteries does that indicate that the obc is bad?
Im not that familiar with the OBC setup (but I know I don't want one as half the threads on this forum seem to be related to them ) so ill let one of the experts answer that but I would think if you already did the reset and if you bypass it and everything works as it should then there is some problem with it....but again , over my head on those carts....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
crash test dummy

if you do the OBC bypass and charger woks then your OBC is bad
you need to replace it or get a DPI charger
Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Joe Fetterhoff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the advice. I did the jumper test and the charger charged fine. I left it on for eleven minuets then I unplugged it. I broke the fuse taking it apart. What size fuse does it take? Joe
Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Its called the sense lead fuse and I believe it is 3/8 amp
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you are going to keep the cart make the investment with the dpi charger. You can buy obc ~150 you can buy a timer kit ~150 or the charger ~320 with shipping and no worries! I performed the task you are doing to charge for a year and it was a pain. I thought I had my issues fixed and then the charger started to act up. SO i forked over the bucks for the dpi.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Joe Fetterhoff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks to all who are giving me advice. what is a "dpi" charger? what do I have to do to convert this cart to a dpi? What is the advantage to a dpi? I work for a Bible Camp and we do not have a lot of money to spend. What would be the most economical way to go?
the obc is a silver for a 48v system
Old 06-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

The charger has the brains to charge the pack and keep it charged. Right now you are relying on the obc to tell the charger what to do. You don't need the obc for any other purpose than charging. All you need to do is buy the charger and make one splice connection from receptacle to #6 battery neg. You plug in the charger after each use and it does it's thing. Check out scottyb cartsunlimited (sponsor). Check out is website just for the education on batteries. I think the headache (after experiencing it) costs more than the charger. OBC's seem to fail and many of us on here continue to have "charging" issues. Also- you can leave the obc in the cart; you don't have to remove it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car