lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Deka Batteries?

The jury is still out on whether or not I will be replacing my batteries anytime soon. The cart has been down at the campground for 3 weekends now and has performed great for the adults in the family. My son has only been down with us once and only used it for a couple of hours. I'm sure he will put it to the test soon enough and let us know how the runtime is.

Anyway, I had to get the starter repaired on his 4-wheeler this week and the shop is also the first place I would go to inquire about golf cart batteries (small town). They used to be an Interstate dealer with a big sign out front, but apparentlt that is no longer the case. While I was in there, I asked about batteries for my cart. Of course, they don't stock them, but they said they would get Deka batteries for me and they would run about $195 each for 4 12v batteries. Well, I don't want to pay that much if I don't have to, but I certainly don't want to pay that much for a brand I've never heard of.

Anyone heard of that company and have anything particularly positive or negative to say about them? My next possible source is a small cart shop down close to the campground. I don't know if they are particularly affiliated with a specific brand, as they seem to have a mix of EZ Go's and Club Cars, used and pimped out on their lot for sale. I stopped in there last year to pick up a rear view mirror for my cart. But I have never asked about batteries or prices.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Deka Batteries?

I have heard of them. No personal experience.

Here is link to specs: http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/...MasterGolf.pdf
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know nothing of Deka's reputation with golf cart batteries; but for motorcycle, and Personal Watercraft batteries, they are among the best.

I looked into them briefly last year, but decided to give my crappy Sams Club batteries another year...
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

AGM 12 volt for $195 sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't know much about Deka but that seems to be a pretty stout grouping of batteries. The AGM batteries are usually quite a bit more than the lead acid. Not sure if the regular lead acid charger would be the optimum for the AGM battereis but would work I'm sure.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

AGM???
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
AGM???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A VRLA battery (valve-regulated lead–acid battery) more commonly known as a sealed battery is a lead–acid rechargeable battery. Because of their construction, VRLA batteries do not require regular addition of water to the cells, and vent less gas than flooded lead-acid batteries.[1] The reduced venting is an advantage since they can be used in confined or poorly ventilated spaces.[2] But sealing cells and preventing access to the electrolyte also has several considerable disadvantages as discussed below.
VRLA batteries are commonly further classified as:
Absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery
Gel battery ("gel cell")
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

To whom it may concern: I am no expert on batteries but.....

"Regular" deep cycle's are called flooded lead acid. They make up the vast majority of all batteries that we'd use. The liquid is loose and vents easily. Needs regular checking etc... AGM batteries used soaked fiberglass mat around the plates which while they do technically have vents, the liquid remains virtually contained within the case. AGM batteries can even be mounted on their side or in whatever orientation. AGM is pretty much the latest advancement of this type of battery.

I did notice that the Deka had a 20ah rating of 155 vs the T1275 Trojan's 20ah rating of 150 so they have comparable numbers actually.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car