lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
zephyrus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Bypassing Club Car IQ OBC

I ordered a DPI Accusense battery charger from Scotty B and he suggested I post this question here. I have previously installed his 2 ga battery cable kit which uses a stud to go through the OBC with a cable attached to either side. I want to be able to use the float charge capability of the DPI charger. According to Scotty, I have to bypass the OBC to do so. What do I need to do to bypass the OBC and do I need to purchase a longer battery cable to replace the stud and the 2 cables I currently have? Cart is a Club Car DS IQ, S/N AQ0718-753617

Thanks
zephyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Bypassing Club Car IQ OBC

Unless You have plans to sell the OBC, just leave it in the cart so it will keep the stud in place.

To by-pass the OBC functions You need to do two things:
1) Run the 10ga negative wire from the back of the charger receptacle directly to pack negative.

2) Disconnect the 6-pin OBC connector and jump the White and Blue wires together on the harness side.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Unless You have plans to sell the OBC, just leave it in the cart so it will keep the stud in place.

To by-pass the OBC functions You need to do two things:
1) Run the 10ga negative wire from the back of the charger receptacle directly to pack negative.

2) Disconnect the 6-pin OBC connector and jump the White and Blue wires together on the harness side.
Sergio, it's Red & Blue. Pin 2 and Pin 6
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree on the Red and Blue for the old Regen carts where the OBC actually powered the electrical system.

I think the White and Blue is a better option for the modern carts (IQ and Excel) that only need a low current signal as the White wire only has power when the Tow/Run is on Run.

That better reflects how the OBC provides the signal on the Blue wire for those carts.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I agree on the Red and Blue for the old Regen carts where the OBC actually powered the electrical system.

I think the White and Blue is a better option for the modern carts (IQ and Excel) that only need a low current signal as the White wire only has power when the Tow/Run is on Run.

That better reflects how the OBC provides the signal on the Blue wire for those carts.
After studying a diagram, I see what you mean but it appears that it will work either way. I've been doing it for years with the red wire and the Tow/Run switch still functions as it should.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
Doug73
Not Yet Wild

I just did this today....red to blue is what I have done before as well, but that white to blue does make sense. BUT....the neg on receptacle...do you now need a timer on the charger with the OBC being bypassed?

I have mine that still charging but it was acting funny other ways that is why I bypassed OBC....but left it hooked up for the charging system to still function as per usual.
Doug73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #7
zephyrus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies. What do you guys do to jumper the wires together? Do you cut and splice or put a jumper in the connector or something else? I am guessing that the DPI charger has some type of sensor to determine state of charge on the battery pack since the OBC is no longer used?
zephyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #8
Doug73
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus View Post
Thanks for the replies. What do you guys do to jumper the wires together? Do you cut and splice or put a jumper in the connector or something else? I am guessing that the DPI charger has some type of sensor to determine state of charge on the battery pack since the OBC is no longer used?
To do the test first, alligator clips on a short wire will do. To do a permanent job, I prefer soldier, but a good butt connector with shrink tube will work as well.
Doug73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus View Post
Yes, the DPI is a stand alone smart charger. It will take very good care of your batteries with a 5 stage algorithm and a float mode that lasts 28 days, then it recharges and goes back to float again and again if you are away.

My question for you CC Techs is what year is the blue /red splice best and what year does the white/blue splice apply?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think the White and Blue work better for all years IQ and Excel carts.

For the Regen-2 and other Model Years where the Blue wire was connected to the harness instead of the controller, the OBC provided power directly to the electrical system.
If the White and the Red/White wires going to the OBC are the same gauge, I would still use the White wire, but add a 10 amp inline fuse.

If the Red/White wire is a larger gauge, then use the Red/White on the OBC side of the connector and keep the fuse.

I like the idea of not having any power going to the Controller connector when the Tow/Run is on Tow (which is how the OBC works).

Using the Red wire would also provide non-fused 48v power at the controller connector.

The above information is for Sepex only systems.

All model years of the Series carts, the OBC provided the negative side of the Solenoid on the Yellow wire.

For the Series carts You just have to disconnect the Yellow wire from the OBC and run it directly from Solenoid to controller B- (or other negative source like pack negative).

Last edited by Sergio; 01-21-2016 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Added fuse comments.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car