lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
JimInFL
Not Yet Wild

Default Sorting out speed upgrades

Sorry guys, but I’ve read so many threads about speed upgrades, I’m getting pretty lost in it.

Just bought a retirement manufactured home on a golf course here in FL and it came with a cart. Club Car serial #PQ0744

4x12V that I will convert some day to 6x8 when it needs batteries next. As far as I know it’s all stock.

I do need it for golf, so I have to keep that in mind. The boss will have a fit if I tell her I’m putting 1000s in it to make it go faster, but at the same time it goes so slow it drive’s me crazy.

My father-in-law (according to what he described) had the programming changed on his, and it seems pretty quick now (everything is relative - right ?). Is that a possibility for mine ? Will one of those plug-in programmers I see online for about $150 work for my cart ? For the moment, I’m not looking to break the land speed record like some of the guys here, just need to get out of turtle mode.

And, if so, will that create a problem in any way for playing a round of golf ?

Jim In FL
JimInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Sorting out speed upgrades

The best bang for your buck is a plum quick bandit motor which will cost you 225$ plus shipping back to South Carolina (around 65$). So for around $300 your cart will increase speed, most people see 24-26mph. Doesn't need any other upgrades, keep in mind torque will stay flat so it will drastically slow down on hills.

https://www.plumquick.com/motors-and...es/the-bandit/
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

With your serial number you could just go with the speed magnet. About 50.00 or less.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since you have an IQ cart, a simple speed magnet will be the most cost effective way to speed it up.

It is a pretty easy job if you have an ADC motor since the speed sensor just screws to the end of the motor. The GE motor is more trouble since You need to pry the old magnet off the end of the motor shaft.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
JimInFL
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a lot guys. Sounding like the magnet might be a first/least expensive attempt. I'll check the motor type this weekend and see that it's the proper type mentioned. I see the motor info on the Q&A and reviews on the item below, they reiterate that same requirement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1H0NA3ZTHGMSD
Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Don't forget to try an utilize our site sponsors if at all possible. They make this site what it is with their knowledge and time and stand by their products.

http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/_p...r%2C-iq-system
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #7
JimInFL
Not Yet Wild

Will do NCPW. I'll order right off your link as soon as I determine it's the right one. To be honest - I haven't even tried to look for the motor as yet. I've seen in a couple threads you can either crawl underneath, or take a wheel off I believe.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #8
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

No need to pull wheel well yet. Look under and if rubber connection of speed sensor is basically flat to the motor it is a GE. If it has a little Top Hat shape to it it is the other. I had GE and found it easier to work on if i removed wheel and well cover. Many people use paint can pry tools with tip bent or two to work off magnet. I had a hard time with mine. I finally too a cheap screwdriver and bent the tip and it came right off. If you have the other motor, its a couple of screws and you are good to go. Dave at revolution is who I used and was great. My speeds went from 13.5 mph to 20 mph on flats. No more regen so going down small hills would get me to around 25. Perfect speed in my opinion for the neighborhood. Fast enough to get around and not so fast you get into trouble. All of this was on standard wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqS5GhYQ8ho
This is motor you hope for.
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

A 2007 Precedent has the ADC/AMD motor. GE wasn't used in the Precedent after 2005. Only on the DS. FYI, my magnet is built as a high speed magnet, it's not a modified OEM magnet like you'll find elsewhere on the internet. It won't break due to stress fractures in the epoxy patch job.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #10
JimInFL
Not Yet Wild

All excellent info ! I'll be at the new home on Friday night and I just want to do the 'simple speed sensor check' to see if I need to order that Dave, as well. Man - you guys are great ! Thanks so much.

One last thing comes to mind - as I said - I am planning to play a lot of golf (I am retiring after all). This change won't affect my ability go traverse up hills on the course - right ? I keep seeing references to loss of torque with some mods.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car