lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 cc jerksa bit-9 month old batteries

I am not 100% sure I understood your question, but I will state it as I know it.

Fully charge your batteries after each use and once they have completed, you can disconnect your powerdrive charger and hook up the 48v trickle charger by means of the main pack negative (black cable that runs towards the back of your cart) and the main pack positive (red cable that runs to the solenoid of your cart) and just leave it hooked up until you are ready to use it. It will keep the pack voltage topped off and ready at all times. Some have built in pulsator to help break-up and/or prevent sulfation.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #12
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
I am not 100% sure I understood your question, but I will state it as I know it.

Fully charge your batteries after each use and once they have completed, you can disconnect your powerdrive charger and hook up the 48v trickle charger by means of the main pack negative (black cable that runs towards the back of your cart) and the main pack positive (red cable that runs to the solenoid of your cart) and just leave it hooked up until you are ready to use it. It will keep the pack voltage topped off and ready at all times. Some have built in pulsator to help break-up and/or prevent sulfation.
Does this have any faults as far as damage to the main 48volt charger. If left connected all the time.Idon't trust this trickle charger for some reason- its new also.Is it hard on the cart or the main charger itsself?If i am using all the time. Trickle charger on my;12 v batteries my in hotrods -will bring a battery back- if you wait long enough.thanks once again for the help NoleFan bob s
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

No faults or any issues with regards to using the trickle charger. Just be sure it is a 48 volt and not any other voltage. Remember, you will still be using your OEM powerdrive to charge your pack, this trickle charger will only be a sustainer/maintainer to keep the pack at its highest possible voltage and that helps extend the pack life and prevent sulfation. (In carts, unlike cars, the batteries are used now and then or everyday, but point being they only get charged after their use which could be a few minutes or many many hours of hard use. With automobiles, the batteries are only used momentarily to crank them and then charged right back up via the alternator. The alternator supplies a floating low amp charge to them continuously while the automobile is running and this keeps your battery topped off and at its highest available voltage ready for your next need.) So cars do not necessarily need a trickle charger unless they are not being used as the alternator performs this function as part of the automobiles normal operation. Your trickle charger will do similar to your cart what the alternator is doing on your automobile while it is running down the road.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #14
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you all for helping, I am good right now. Going to manage its care a lot closer than i have. To many other vehicles around here etc. So something here will pay the price for that, i'm afraid. good weekend to you
bob s
Old 08-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
Doc
Gone Wild

Is the "black & red" charger a Save-A_Battery 48V trickle charger? I've used one of them on my '13 Precedent and have not even needed the factory charger for well over a year! The way my cart gets used is very infrequent so the S-A-B charger stays on the cart until it's used, then put right back on it again when parked. The ONLY negative about it is if the cart's batteries are ever run down significantly, it would take some time (maybe 2 whole days) to bring the pack back up to proper voltage. But again, the way this cart is used, that isn't a problem.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #16
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

thanks for the tip Doc My Calif trickle charger black and yellow. they advertise on here lots. bob s
Old 08-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Is the "black & red" charger a Save-A_Battery 48V trickle charger? I've used one of them on my '13 Precedent and have not even needed the factory charger for well over a year! The way my cart gets used is very infrequent so the S-A-B charger stays on the cart until it's used, then put right back on it again when parked. The ONLY negative about it is if the cart's batteries are ever run down significantly, it would take some time (maybe 2 whole days) to bring the pack back up to proper voltage. But again, the way this cart is used, that isn't a problem.
FYI,
From everything I have read, after you use your cart, the factory hi amperage charger should be used to recharge the batteries.
Others can jump in and explain it better, but the basic reason is that the factory charger uses hi amperage to start the charge to clean the plates of any sulfating.
The maintainer is good between charges, but not the best way to gain long life for your batteries.
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

thank you much Aflyer
Old 08-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #19
Doc
Gone Wild

I'm fairly certain that part of the charm of the Sav A Battery charger is that it CONSTANTLY desulfates the batteries-at least that what a salesman had told me. I bought a few units, both 12V (for my Mustang) and 2- 48V units for my carts, one a 2000 Carryall the other a 2013 Precedent. See if you can google their site and read the FAQ's. They put out a pretty decent product and I have to say, I have yet to have any battery related issues. I cannot tell you the last time I've used my Club Car chargers.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car