lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
Golfcartin
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car ds rear seal leaking

I have a club car ds 48 volt. The driver rear axle is leaking at the hub. I think the axle seal is leaking. My question is should I replace the bearings and stuff or just replace the seal and fill rear with fresh oil? I have a lift with 22 inch tire/grips
Golfcartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Golfcartin
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club car ds rear seal leaking

The year is around 2004. It's electric
Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

Any bearing noise while driving? If not, replace the seal and change the fluid.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
The Big Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

As stated, seal only unless there is a problem. If not, you will make a problem really quick!

It takes about 22ozs of lube to fill it. I like 85w/90 or 80w/90 synthetic as opposed to SAE 30. I'm just a stickler about engine oil for engines and gear lubes for gears and bearings..... If you are in a colder climate be sure to use synthetics for the cold weather flow characteristics.

And if you look on a lube viscosity chart, there is very little difference in the two.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Should a person put 22 oz in the pumpkin and stop even though its not coming out of the vent opening or should it be? I put 26 oz in mine and stopped and it hadn't begun to drain out of the vent.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Golfcartin
Not Yet Wild

Thanks fellas. I'm going break it down and change the seal. Then fill it. Appreciate the help.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
Should a person put 22 oz in the pumpkin and stop even though its not coming out of the vent opening or should it be? I put 26 oz in mine and stopped and it hadn't begun to drain out of the vent.
It DOES NOT (not shouting at you) come out the vent opening... There is a plug in the side of the case that you open, before you drain your lube. That is the high level/full mark that you fill to. Once oil is there, at how ever many ounces, you stop. Please. please, please never use the vent to fill or as a level guide.

Hit me up if you are not sure about any of this as I do not want you to damage your axle seals by running to high a level in them.

And Note- For carts running the 8-11 mph range, you could basically run most any viscosity/weight lube in it and get away with it, but since most of us are taking our carts beyond what CC designed them for, this is where a little thought has to come into play for the maintenance intervals and types of materials and products used. CC pretty much will say in most of the electric cart manuals that SAE 30 engine oil is good, but I say again, most of you do not still operate the cart that CC sold and that service manual was designed for that type of usage, trust me, protect your investment, use a high quality (and I recommend synthetic) gear lube in those differentials.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And I am posting this viscosity chart so everyone better understands how to compare oils/lubes. Engine oils and gear lubes are not the same and cannot be compared just by the numbers. Meaning, "Oh my, I cannot put 85w/90 where I had SAE 30 as it will be too thick! " Look at the SAE 30 and the 85w/90 on the chart..... And remember, gear lubes are built for friction and higher loads to protect the gears and bearings, engine oils are similar, but are designed for extreme heat and to combat the combustion process which does not occur in the your CC differential....
Old 08-17-2017, 12:01 AM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Just got a question about differential oil changes..... So Bump!
Old 08-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
It DOES NOT (not shouting at you) come out the vent opening... There is a plug in the side of the case that you open, before you drain your lube. That is the high level/full mark that you fill to. Once oil is there, at how ever many ounces, you stop. Please. please, please never use the vent to fill or as a level guide.

Hit me up if you are not sure about any of this as I do not want you to damage your axle seals by running to high a level in them.

And Note- For carts running the 8-11 mph range, you could basically run most any viscosity/weight lube in it and get away with it, but since most of us are taking our carts beyond what CC designed them for, this is where a little thought has to come into play for the maintenance intervals and types of materials and products used. CC pretty much will say in most of the electric cart manuals that SAE 30 engine oil is good, but I say again, most of you do not still operate the cart that CC sold and that service manual was designed for that type of usage, trust me, protect your investment, use a high quality (and I recommend synthetic) gear lube in those differentials.
OK, Now I'm a little confused. Sending you an IM...Thanks!
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car