lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #11
AbsoluteDiesel
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Range on Full or Half Throttle????

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
26" tire is a real load on that drivetrain. Helped my buddy build a cart a few years ago with 25s but his has the 15:1 rear where yours may have the stock 13:1 which makes the load worse. He complains about range all the time but I remind him he is not a small man and turning that much meat burns amps.

Thanks for the input! Yeah I know they are large but some areas I drive through hunting are nasty and I have yet to get stuck with these 26s [emoji1316]. I do however drive the cart around my neighborhood and would like to increase ride time even if going slower. What was involved in changing the gear ratio? (Time/cost?) Did he notice a run time increase with the lower gear? I am not concerned about speed as long as I can get 15mph as it runs about 22 WOT right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AbsoluteDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

We pulled the entire rear out of a workhorse and it had the factory limited slip as a bonus. Previous rear had exploded due to the motor controller combination the previous owner had on it. Spider gears had like 1 or 2 teeth left.

With his current setup with a Curtis 1268 500 amp in low speed mode it will run about 17. In high it rolls around 26.

Here is a link to the build. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...east-boke.html
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #13
AbsoluteDiesel
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
We pulled the entire rear out of a workhorse and it had the factory limited slip as a bonus. Previous rear had exploded due to the motor controller combination the previous owner had on it. Spider gears had like 1 or 2 teeth left.

With his current setup with a Curtis 1268 500 amp in low speed mode it will run about 17. In high it rolls around 26.

Interesting that would be a project for sure .... I have a 500amp alltrax programmable controller. With the high low settings does he see increased run time in low speed mode?

Old 08-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well can't answer that 100% but I would think it would. He is a go fast person so it rarely sees low speed mode. The tires he is running also make a lot of noise rolling on flat pavement and that translates to inefficient.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Speed requires power to reach and maintain. Faster you go, more power you need to get there and stay there. So, yes, reducing speed increases range. How much depends on many factors but the biggest are friction losses, tire rolling resistance and coefficient of drag. All three require increased force to overcome as speed increases.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #16
AbsoluteDiesel
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
Speed requires power to reach and maintain. Faster you go, more power you need to get there and stay there. So, yes, reducing speed increases range. How much depends on many factors but the biggest are friction losses, tire rolling resistance and coefficient of drag. All three require increased force to overcome as speed increases.

Ok Gregorio thanks for the great input .... the argument D&D had is that these motors are engineered to me more efficient spinning at full RPM and it requires more amperage for it to run at half. What are your thoughts?

Old 08-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #17
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDiesel View Post
the argument D&D had is that these motors are engineered to me more efficient spinning at full RPM and it requires more amperage for it to run at half.

Chuck @ EMP told me the same thing years ago when I was asking about a motor.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #18
AbsoluteDiesel
Not Yet Wild

Also for further info I am running a club car ds IQ D&D 502 motor with alltrax 500amp controller and 6 crown cr-190s with 0 gauge wire

I only get about 10 miles to 50% discharge and the pack it 2-3 years old.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #19
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDiesel View Post
Ok Gregorio thanks for the great input .... the argument D&D had is that these motors are engineered to me more efficient spinning at full RPM and it requires more amperage for it to run at half. What are your thoughts?

They might be most efficient at full RPM but that only means they are consuming the least amount of power for every horsepower they are producing.

This is a SWAG but if you need 10HP to maintain full throttle and use 10AMPS per HP at full RPM you are consuming 100AMPS of battery capacity at that given moment. However, if you need 5HP to maintain 50% RPM but the motor takes 15AMPS per HP, you are using only 75AMPS at that rate.

I have an inductive ammeter on my cart and can see that at WOT flat ground I am consuming 140-160AMPS running at 25MPH. Cruising at about 17MPH same place takes anywhere from 50-80AMPS. It varies because it is hard to keep my foot steady and my MCOR is kind of flakey but the difference is immense.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
AbsoluteDiesel
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
They might be most efficient at full RPM but that only means they are consuming the least amount of power for every horsepower they are producing.

This is a SWAG but if you need 10HP to maintain full throttle and use 10AMPS per HP at full RPM you are consuming 100AMPS of battery capacity at that given moment. However, if you need 5HP to maintain 50% RPM but the motor takes 15AMPS per HP, you are using only 75AMPS at that rate.

I have an inductive ammeter on my cart and can see that at WOT flat ground I am consuming 140-160AMPS running at 25MPH. Cruising at about 17MPH same place takes anywhere from 50-80AMPS. It varies because it is hard to keep my foot steady and my MCOR is kind of flakey but the difference is immense.

Gregorio wow thank you! that is EXACTLY the info I was looking for! [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

I figured this was true I just wasn't sure to what extent.....

Now to decide if I'm going to go with eight 6v to try and get extended range....

Btw I have purchased the cheaper Chinese MCORs from Amazon $70 with good results.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car