lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
Anthonyc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Noob Charging Question - What Amps, How long

On second cycle it went up to between 15 and 20 amps for a while then drifted down to between 5 and 10 amps.

I just started the third cycle and it did pretty much he same thing.
Anthonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
Anthonyc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm in the rockledge / Viera / Melbourne (space coast) area.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
Anthonyc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm in the rockledge / Viera / Melbourne (space coast) area.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

But drive it some after that 2nd re-charge. You do not want to short the plates or cause irreversible damage. What we mean by a dozen or so cycles or charges is to use it and immediately recharge it. You do not want to run them down to where they are completely dead. Just run it down the street and around a little until you feel them falling off (or meter dropping hard, if you have one) and then park and plug it back in.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am guessing it is more than likely 2015 as opposed to 2005, but you never know.

As Nole said run the cart some between charge cycles and see if it seems to be gaining a longer run time after this cycle.

The way you explained the amp gauge cycling during the charge tells us it is doing exactly what it should be doing. Let us know how long that third charge cycle took if you can.

Was there any water/electrolyte visible in the cells when you started to fill them?

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:58 PM   #16
Anthonyc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I could see the tops of the plates were dry on all 6 batteries on all cells. There was some liquid in the batteries as I shook one and could hear and feel the fluid. I just couldn't see any.

When I take it off the charger it has 48.5 volts in store. I can literally get to the end of the block and back at about 10-12mph (according to my spedo app on phone) then top speed drops to 8mph. I measured the pack after the run and it was at 47.3 volts. I would say the distance was about 1/10 of a mile (at best)

It never seems to get to the 50-51V range it should get to start off with. And if I give it a good punch on the pedal to take off it rattles, shakes, shudders like all hell. If I gradually increase to top speed I don't see this effect. So I'm thinking that if the controller asks for more current or voltage then the pack can supply on demand this is a result of that.
I did plug my meter into the battery charging plug when driving and before driving and Before It only reads about 35V after charging ( I didn't think it would be that drastically different)

When driving the numbers drop off the face of the earth like 20's and teens then come back up as I slow it down.

I'm not really seeing any improvement in run duration either.

Frankly, from what I've read about flooded lead acid cells, I don't think these are coming back. But I don't have any experience with golf carts to "just know" when to give up.

I also pulled some water/electrolyte out of the cells because it seems to have expanded since the initial fill and has risen quite a bit since cycling the charging.

I hear thing bubbling inside the batteries after and during charge so I don't know if that is the actual chemical reaction trying to break the sulfate down.

Is this kind of like a clogged drain or sticky window that soon it will "bust loose" and work better? Typically my experience with starter batteries tells me, nope never again will it have close to the capacity it once had.

But I will say this, I am pretty impressed that these batteries are even accepting any charge.

I've read all the battery threads on here since it seems that this purchase will be in my immediate future. And while it seems the Trojan battery may not be what it once was, it is pretty forgiving on mistreatment.

I'm leaning towards the T-875's as It's only $100 more then the Duracell/Deka Sam's Jam and no other battery distributor (crown/Us Battery) has returned an inquiry made. I guess I should have said I needed a few pallets of batteries.

Although I personally never had a bad experience with the Deka / East Penn MFG forklift batteries lasting many (10+) years with decent capacity left.

That doesn't seem to be the consensus around here.

The amount of time on the charger seems to be around 2-3 hours now then it shuts off. Plus the red battery light is always on after the charge cycle.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:38 AM   #17
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yep, it does sound critical and you are going the right direction. There are rare times that fairly new batteries can be brought back, but now I am starting to think you really do have batteries from '05 if it has sat as long as you are thinking. Me and Aflyer was thinking 15's, but after you mentioned the condition and time the cart sat, we will assume 05's based on the way they are doing.

You buy any of the "good" named brand batteries and you will be fine. Just be sure to break them in correctly and charge it every time you park it.....
Old 09-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #18
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Anthonyc,
I would agree that things aren't looking favorable, but I would still opt for trying a few more charging cycles. You can always get the new batteries, but you only get to give up on these once.

You only need the water level to be 1/4 inch above the plates. And lowering that level should speed the conversion process.

Hi amperage can help to blast the sulfation off the plates, so it would be good if that charger is pegging the amp meter at 19 - 20 amps.

If you have access to a high amp (50) automotive charger you might try using one of them on each battery for a few minutes. Others can jump in and let us know if they disagree, but this is something I have been told by the guy who runs our local Battery sales center.

I know these prices are not local for you, but just for comparison shopping this is what we have to pay in our area for the 170 AMP HR batteries:
Trojan T875 $114.50
US Battery $101.50
Crown $110.00 165 AMP HR

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #19
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #20
Anthonyc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am still charging it after running it for short periods. Then letting it sit a little to cool down. I did pull some of the water out to lower the levels. And it seems to have risen a little again. I'm going to play around a little longer before I pull the trigger on the new batteries. I did see a little improvement today. I just don't want the cells to get too hot and do more harm then good. So I wait 4-5 hours in between charges.

I don't have my old school dumb charger at this location otherwise I would have blasted them already. I've had it since the 80's and it had some great 6 & 12 volt slow/fast and boost modes on it. I got them back to life with a little 2/6 amp 6/12 volt charger. So that I could get the power drive to engage. However now that they have some juice in them that charger is pretty much useless. Everything out there is a "smart charger" now and too smart for what I wanted to do.

I got the price of the Trojans down to $117 with core trade. So I guess that is not that bad. And it is from one of those franchise battery distributors. I can't find anyone over here that sells the US battery brand.

But everyone is Bracing for Irma's landfall so I'll probably play around with charging them a little longer. This last cycle was the first time that After I unplugged it the red battery light did not light up within a minute or two. So I guess that is progress. And pack voltage broke the 50 volt line right after charge.

Thanks to all for the sound advice. I do appreciate it.

Hopefully some day I'll be able to return the favor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car