lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
mustangless
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Dragging brakes, can't fix

My brakes have been dragging for years. Just let it do it's thing, then my plum quick motor died. Probably killed it with the load on brakes.

I have adjusted brakes loose. They adjust like they are supposed to, then over adjust right after that. If I back it up I can spin the wheels by hand but it's hard to do. Right side may get tighter but they both end up tight.

On about a 10 degree angle the cart won't roll down on it's on. Anything at 15 or greater angle it won't go up from a stop. If it's not too long it will make it up with a little speed. Then it stops and the motor makes some horrible noise.

Just finished flipping brake backing plates over so cable are at top. They are not stretched and look in good shape. But they over tight still.

What else can I check? I've read adjusters could be bad. Could it be the shoes too worn?
mustangless is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Dragging brakes, can't fix

If the sliders don't move real easy the brakes will tighten up very quick. I have also read the adjusters can be a problem.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I ran into a similar issue after replacing brake shoes, clean overhaul and reinstall. As free as the brake cables appeared, it turned out to be sticking inside the cable and was causing the erratic braking. All symptoms removed with two new brake cables. This happened twice on a 2005 Precedent and a 2007 DS. Same problem; cable. I brought this up because you said they were still tight after flipping the backplates. Just a thought.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
mustangless
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
I ran into a similar issue after replacing brake shoes, clean overhaul and reinstall. As free as the brake cables appeared, it turned out to be sticking inside the cable and was causing the erratic braking. All symptoms removed with two new brake cables. This happened twice on a 2005 Precedent and a 2007 DS. Same problem; cable. I brought this up because you said they were still tight after flipping the backplates. Just a thought.

You could be on to something. The side that over adjust first/more did have the cable cover kind of bunched together.

My first post was kinda confusing. Cables are not tight just brakes.
mustangless is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car