lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
123Jbird
Not Yet Wild

Default Questions about an 84 Club Car

Hi everybody,

I'm brand new into golf carts. My hope was to purchase older ones, do some improvements, and flip them to incrementally get better carts. I bit off more than I bargained on my second cart though.

I purchased an 84 Club Car (36 Volt) that is in fairly good shape but I need to address the following questions:

1) The key switch had been disconnected and wired to work simply when depressing the gas pedal. I have found a wiring diagram, but I don't know what gauge wire I should be running from the limit switch to the key switch and from the key switch to the ... I don't know what it's called but where it connects to the same spot as the negative battery pack wire goes. Can someone tell me what gauge wire to use to and from the key switch?

2) It came with new headlights mounted but not wired. Is there a wiring diagram that would allow them to be wired to only work with the key switch turned on? Also what gauge wiring do I use to run the headlights? I've noticed that most wiring diagrams on this sight don't tell the wire gauges.

3) I've replaced the solenoids, batteries are less than 2 years old but show a 6V charge when fully charged. Top speed is pretty low (10-14MPH) and very little power (for excample, it runs on the road find but barely moves through my yard (thick St. Augustine grass). Anything else I could do to increase speed, or is that what I should expect from a 1984 cart?

4) The steering is a bit stiff, is there something I can do to lubricate it well?

I've never posted before but have already found this sight very helpful. Thanks so much in advance for any help, and please let me know if I should have posted in a different way.
123Jbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Questions about an 84 Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Jbird View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm brand new into golf carts. My hope was to purchase older ones, do some improvements, and flip them to incrementally get better carts. I bit off more than I bargained on my second cart though.

I purchased an 84 Club Car (36 Volt) that is in fairly good shape but I need to address the following questions:

1) The key switch had been disconnected and wired to work simply when depressing the gas pedal. I have found a wiring diagram, but I don't know what gauge wire I should be running from the limit switch to the key switch and from the key switch to the ... I don't know what it's called but where it connects to the same spot as the negative battery pack wire goes. Can someone tell me what gauge wire to use to and from the key switch?

parts manual says 18 gauge

2) It came with new headlights mounted but not wired. Is there a wiring diagram that would allow them to be wired to only work with the key switch turned on? Also what gauge wiring do I use to run the headlights?

i use 16 gauge

I've noticed that most wiring diagrams on this sight don't tell the wire gauges.

yes it is only found in the parts manuals

3) I've replaced the solenoids, batteries are less than 2 years old but show a 6V charge when fully charged. Top speed is pretty low (10-14MPH) and very little power (for excample, it runs on the road find but barely moves through my yard (thick St. Augustine grass). Anything else I could do to increase speed, or is that what I should expect from a 1984 cart?

yep ... they are not ment to speed between holes on a golf course

4) The steering is a bit stiff, is there something I can do to lubricate it well?

you can grease the ball joints and grease the teeth under the bellows in the rack and pinion

I've never posted before but have already found this sight very helpful. Thanks so much in advance for any help, and please let me know if I should have posted in a different way.

i have attached the 84~85 ds parts manual PDF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1984-1985-DS-Golf-Carv2.pdf (13.22 MB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
123Jbird
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Questions about an 84 Club Car

Thanks so much!
123Jbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car