lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default OK to normally charge with a small float charger?

I have a standard PH 2012 Precedent, still fitted with the OBC and using the PowerDrive charger. I also have a Battery Saver 50W 48V float charger that I originally used to put on the cart between charges to keep the batteries topped up. The cart is just used for golf, normally a couple of times per week but we've just been moving house so the cart wasn't used for about a month and the Battery Saver was on during that time.

Lately, if I just go out for a few practice holes, instead of attaching the PowerDrive I just put the Battery Saver on and let it recharge the pack slowly overnight and the next day. I just leave it on and it floats after reaching a full charge. I like the fact that it is a trickle charge rather than putting a lot in quickly.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't just recharge each time by using the Battery Saver rather than the PowerDrive? The batteries are less than 12 months old, I keep them watered to the right level and the voltages are good.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: OK to normally charge with a small float charger?

The batteries will stagnate, chemicals will separate, and the plates will sulfate if you do not use a proper GC charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:03 AM   #3
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK thanks Scotty. I'll just use the float charger when the cart is going to sit awhile.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Having thought about it some more, the Battery Saver is a pulse charger which is designed to counter sulfation so I don't think that the outcome would be as dire as you suggest Scotty. All the same I think I will use the CC charger after using the cart and then just use the Battery Saver to maintain the charge.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
rib33024

The batteries need a high amp charge to get the batteries bubbling to mix the chemicals. Your float charger will not do this.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
The batteries need a high amp charge to get the batteries bubbling to mix the chemicals. Your float charger will not do this.
Another way I've also heard it "said" is that a small charger is not to to be able to "stuff" the energy back into a battery the way that a larger high amperage charger will... Your batteries will become shallow have less capacity even though they are fully charged voltage wize......
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys, good advice.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car