lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Default Main positive and negative connection

When taking off the main positive and negative connection- Does it matter which one you take off first and last?
When reconnecting the main positive and negative-Does it matter which one you reconnect first then last?
If so, can you please tell me the order for both. I don’t want to fry anything when disconnecting and reconnecting. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daroosta25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Default Re: Main positive and negative connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroosta25 View Post
When taking off the main positive and negative connection- Does it matter which one you take off first and last?
When reconnecting the main positive and negative-Does it matter which one you reconnect first then last?
If so, can you please tell me the order for both. I don’t want to fry anything when disconnecting and reconnecting. Thanks.

This is pertaining to the main positive and negative on a series of batteries

Old 10-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not really. If the cart has a run/tow switch flip it to tow before disconnecting anything
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Not really. If the cart has a run/tow switch flip it to tow before disconnecting anything

What about when putting them both back on?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It really does not matter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
SCCLT
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just to expand, flip run/tow switch to tow before disconnecting any battery connection and don’t flip switch back to run until after you have reconnected all battery connection. I’ve learned that it’s safer to disconnect the negative first and reconnect it last. Reason being if your wrench happens to touch ground (metal) while wrenching, negative to ground doesn’t cause the fireworks that positive to ground does. Not as much metal on a golf cart as a car, truck or airplane. It’s a good habit to follow regardless what your working on.

SCCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Nsane
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCLT View Post
Just to expand, flip run/tow switch to tow before disconnecting any battery connection and don’t flip switch back to run until after you have reconnected all battery connection. I’ve learned that it’s safer to disconnect the negative first and reconnect it last. Reason being if your wrench happens to touch ground (metal) while wrenching, negative to ground doesn’t cause the fireworks that positive to ground does. Not as much metal on a golf cart as a car, truck or airplane. It’s a good habit to follow regardless what your working on.

Been doing it this way for over 45 years, good advice!
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Quote:

[emoji106]

Old 10-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
I’ve learned that it’s safer to disconnect the negative first and reconnect it last. Reason being if your wrench happens to touch ground (metal) while wrenching, negative to ground doesn’t cause the fireworks that positive to ground does. Not as much metal on a golf cart as a car, truck or airplane. It’s a good habit to follow regardless what your working on.
What you said above certainly makes sense when working on a NEGATIVE ground vehicle. Since a golf cart frame should NEVER be grounded for safety reasons (due to the higher voltages involved on carts), I tend to agree with Scotty that the order of removal / install does not matter

I was wondering though if the addition of some aftermarket accessories (especially poorly designed or cheaper made ones), could cause your golf cart to become "negative grounded" though that accessory. I did take my multi-meter and checked the resistance between my cart frame and the battery pack "negative" post and found no continuity between them, so my cart is good.

I also agree with your comment to "disconnect the negative first and reconnect it last" is "a good habit to follow regardless what your working on" is a good practice to follow.

So in short, both ways work ... but for different reasons.

Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
What you said above certainly makes sense when working on a NEGATIVE ground vehicle. Since a golf cart frame should NEVER be grounded for safety reasons (due to the higher voltages involved on carts), I tend to agree with Scotty that the order of removal / install does not matter

I was wondering though if the addition of some aftermarket accessories (especially poorly designed or cheaper made ones), could cause your golf cart to become "negative grounded" though that accessory. I did take my multi-meter and checked the resistance between my cart frame and the battery pack "negative" post and found no continuity between them, so my cart is good.

I also agree with your comment to "disconnect the negative first and reconnect it last" is "a good habit to follow regardless what your working on" is a good practice to follow.

So in short, both ways work ... but for different reasons.

Regards, 3CW

Thanks for the input

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car