lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
Doc
Gone Wild

Default Gonna Go Lithium (I Think!)

OK, here's whats going on...
I have a 2003 48V Carryall Turf 1 that I'll be restoring over this Winter. The batts are 9 years old(!) and I'm thinking of going Lithium on this one. Can you guys chime in as to the pros/cons of doing this? The cart will get light-duty use. I've lifted it w/a 3" spindle kit but that's the only mod that will be done. Here are my questions"
Need a good source for the battery.
Does the controller really need to be changed out? I'd prefer not to.
What about the charger? Stock unit still be OK to use or can I use Save-A-Battery unit on this?
I'm assuming the OBC can be tossed, correct?
Any other info or ideas would certainly be appreciated!
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gonna Go Lithium (I Think!)

If you use Leaf modules you have a couple of choices. You could use three of the 2016 double modules for a fully charged pack voltage of 50.4V usable down to 42V. These are 82AH rated modules. If you use the 2015 and earlier, you can use seven modules for pack voltage of 58.8V max, 60-62AH. You should have no issues with the higher pack voltage and stock components assuming everything is in good shape. That would be a DIY kit from EV Battery center, including BMS, charger and pack parts.

You would also need a 48-12V Reducer for accessories if not already installed.

You could not use the existing charger and you would toss the OBC.

Attached are a couple of test runs by EV Battery enter with their test cart 2012 RXV stock. 25miles with 60AH, 58V pack and 35 miles with 82AH, 50V pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Standard 7cell Lithium pack Discharge Curve.jpg (81.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Test Leaf16 82Ah-color.jpg (298.7 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’m in the process of building a pack with the newer Leaf cells (82ah). I have a total of 16 cells (4-4 cell modules) but I’m only wiring up 14 cells to get to 58v. Charger is in the mail and once it arrives I’ll start building all of it.

It’s been a TON of research since there are not many off the shelf cart specific BMS kits out there. Good news is that there are a few really good build threads on here that will get you heading in the right direction. Plus some of the members with conversion experience are extremely helpful, like PingEye3 for example has helped me a lot.

I’ll be posting a full build thread in a week or two once my charger arrives. But start reading through other build threads where you will find different cells people have used and various BMS options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
FireFighterHill
Getting Wild
Club Car

E36, which BMS and charger solution are you using? Im still torn on which battery to use. So many options. You can make get modules from Leaf, Volt, and Tesla packs. Modules from the Chevy volt seem to be the cheapest, but also the lowest Amp Hour.
FireFighterHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I went with the setup from Zeva.com.au. The guy Ian from there is super helpful. I liked the panel mount screen instead of using my phone which is ultimately why I went with it

Old 11-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oh and a TC charger

Old 11-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
I went with the setup from Zeva.com.au. The guy Ian from there is super helpful. I liked the panel mount screen instead of using my phone which is ultimately why I went with it

Naturally, I'm particularly interested in your build as the battery pack is sourced from a local, to me, supplier.

I'll be very interested in your write up. Don't leave out any details or problems.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
Doc
Gone Wild

I'm starting this project 1st week of December...I'm planning on posting a pictorial so stay tuned!
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:13 AM   #9
frank624
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post

I'm also building a 14 cell lithium battery pack with the 82AH Leaf modules, would you happen to have a diagram to wire them in parallel?
frank624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #10
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I'm starting this project 1st week of December...I'm planning on posting a pictorial so stay tuned!
I will be keeping an eye on your build too as I am interested in a lithium pack for my utility vehicle as well.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car