lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 400 amp fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yes, it blew the fuse? Didn't stop the fire from happening though did it? The reason I was asking is because I have seen controller failures, & motors fail and blow the controller, & I have seen batteries blown up .... but i have never seen one of those fuses blown.
I had asked that in the other thread because I wondered the same thing. If a controller failure didn't blow it in time then what will? Is it really a safety point
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

controllers don't have to fail in a high current manner. you can start a fire with way less than 400A! a fuse isn't a 100% guarantee that things won't catch fire, however, it will prevent fires in certain scenarios.

obviously there was a high current fault at some point during the incident. had the fuse not been in place, the current would have continued to flow and undoubtedly caused much more damage.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
controllers don't have to fail in a high current manner. you can start a fire with way less than 400A! a fuse isn't a 100% guarantee that things won't catch fire, however, it will prevent fires in certain scenarios.

obviously there was a high current fault at some point during the incident. had the fuse not been in place, the current would have continued to flow and undoubtedly caused much more damage.
-sj
Makes sense
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cheapjeep2's thread also had me looking around! My stock setup has nothing, no fuse at all...

I went looking at the fuses, but I was also thinking of an emergency disconnect switch, as a 2nd means of shutting down, instead of wire cutters in the glove box.

I found this one at evdrives.com, but it's only rated for 250 amps.

http://www.evdrives.com/contactors_ED250.html

Won't it only being rated for 250 amps be a problem with my intended 400-500 amp controller and Plumquick motor?

Is there a higher emergency disconnect switch that anyone can recommend?
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:

-sj
How much more damage could it have caused to burn the end of the main lead off!?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #16
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
How much more damage could it have caused to burn the end of the main lead off!?
the main solenoid would likely weld shut and i imagine all of the batteries would likely have suffered damage (if not catch fire/explode) before any main leads burned completely though.
-sj
Old 09-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #17
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post
Won't it only being rated for 250 amps be a problem with my intended 400-500 amp controller and Plumquick motor?

Is there a higher emergency disconnect switch that anyone can recommend?
that switch is rated for 250A continuous. its peak rating is 1000A. to put this into perspective, most full size electric cars pull roughly 125A at cruising speed, while my CC with slightly modified motor pulls around 30A at WOT.

the kilovac contactor is capable of breaking 2000A one time. you can use it as your main contactor, but if you ever have to break a shorted pack it is supposed to be replaced. i believe the allbright sw200B is capable of breaking something similar; like 1800A. if you go that route, get the B model as it has the magnetic blowouts.

anderson SB350 connectors make ok emergency switches.

there are other ways to break high current, such as knife switches, etc. but thats all i know specifically.
-sj
Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
the main solenoid would likely weld shut and i imagine all of the batteries would likely have suffered damage (if not catch fire/explode) before any main leads burned completely though.
-sj
Is there any documentation of failed controllers welding solenoids and burning up the batteries? I would like to see this documentation or please tell us if this is all speculative ?

Millions of golf carts have been produced every year for decades which have no main battery fuse installed. Alltrax is the only speed control manufacture I know of who insists we use one. If this is a problem surely there would be more widespread use of the main fuse?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #19
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Is there any documentation of failed controllers welding solenoids and burning up the batteries? I would like to see this documentation or please tell us if this is all speculative ?

Millions of golf carts have been produced every year for decades which have no main battery fuse installed. Alltrax is the only speed control manufacture I know of who insists we use one. If this is a problem surely there would be more widespread use of the main fuse?
Hmm . . . design flaw that they are aware of and can't figure out . . ??
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

More likely it is not an issue.

Come to think of it there is not a fuse on the Fords think or Gem car main battery either?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car