lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Wmay8600
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Top speed with smooth ride

I put the speed spring on and I am only going 19mph with stock wheels. I want to put bigger wheels and tires on my 2007 yamaha drive, to help change my gear ratio. I also want to put a lift kit such as the jakes long travel to help with the stiff ride when traveling at 25mph. Has anyone made these changes and will the lift kit and wheels kill my torque?
Wmay8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Top speed with smooth ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmay8600 View Post
I put the speed spring on and I am only going 19mph with stock wheels. I want to put bigger wheels and tires on my 2007 yamaha drive, to help change my gear ratio. I also want to put a lift kit such as the jakes long travel to help with the stiff ride when traveling at 25mph. Has anyone made these changes and will the lift kit and wheels kill my torque?
You should be able to just top 20 MPH with a zip-tied governor and stock tires, if the clutches and belt are in good shape. Bigger tires will get you to 25, but it will affect your out of the hole torque. Plowman's sells a lifted performance clutch rebuild service that sets up both clutches for use with lifted carts with larger tires. Basically it holds low "gear" longer allowing the engine to rev up more before moving out of the low "gear" position of the clutches. It should still allow the clutches to make it to the high gear position with a light load, for good top end.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Wmay8600
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Should I go with the jakes 11 inch or 6 inch long travel lift? I am thinking 12 inch wheels with 23 inch tires.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
Wmay8600
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What would be the best way to get a smooth ride at 25 mph?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I have Jake's 6" spindle lifts on both my G22 and G29 carts. Both have the Plowman's clutch mods that Sandbagger refers to in his post above. The G22 has 23" tires and the G29 has 22's. I've drilled out the center of the governor arm with a 5/16" drill on both so the governors don't work.

According to my GPS, my G22 will run 28 MPH and the G29 will do 32. That's on a flat smoothly paved road and I think that the ride is good, although I'm using them as beach buggies and not using them off-road.
Dflowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Wmay8600
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Dennis do you have any pics of the drilled out govenor? What did you do to the rear end as far as the lift? do you have 12 inch wheels?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
duramax
Gone Wild

6" lift will fit the 23 tires fine dont do a 11" it will be unstable at 25 mph to top heavy. air pressure has alot to do with a soft ride & get good tires not 2 ply junk. i have desert duro 6 ply tires & they are nice & round smooth at 30mph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2203.jpg (272.2 KB, 0 views)
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #8
Wmay8600
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Nice cart Duramax!!what kind of lift Jakes suspension? What have you done with the governor?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
duramax
Gone Wild

i used the 6" jakes single a arm kit & i went with 10" rims to get some more sidewall on the tire for a smooth ride. we drive some mountain roads with wash board & some large rocks softer tires help. i think 14" rims & lower profile tires would be bad on the wash board at 20mph. i did the plowmans performance kit & drilled out the gov bracket. 1 person flat pavement is 30-31 gps 2 people & 65lb dog about 27mph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2407.jpg (254.9 KB, 0 views)
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha