lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 or G2 Driven Clutch?

I'm a little late here but I'll respond anyway.

I have used 4 different drive clutches with my G1 driven. No performance issues mixing and matching, although some drive clutches worked better than others.

Stock G1 Drive (with alum cover), this one is possibly the smoothest clutch I have used. It has the roller bearing on the center shaft so it idles great with a tight belt. Used it with my clone engine and it worked great.

Stock G2/G9 Drive, worked okay but not my favorite. It was kinda big also.

Duster 94c, excellent for adjusting engagement and shift profiles. Worked ok, not my favorite.

Comet 780, super smooth, really fast shift. My favorite.

All of these worked with the G1 driven clutch just fine. I even used different engines along the way and they still worked well. I just kept swapping out engines and trying different combinations etc. Never had any problems.

So I think whatever clutch you use, just make sure it's it good working order with no worn parts and the sheave faces are nice and true. Use oil/lube very sparingly because it will fling all over the belt and ruin it. I have two brand new belts with oil on them sitting on my garage floor. Also, make sure you torque the mount bolt to spec, the clutch can slip if you don't have it tight enough. Before you mount, check the shaft and mounting locations to make sure there are no burrs, dirt, oil, etc. Some have even used lapping compound to get a good fit.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Have you tried using break cleaner on the belts or placing them in cat litter or floor sweep compound to remove the oil from the belts.
Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Slonomo that was an great post. Darned thing auto to be posted somewhere in plain sight.
Where did you acquire your comet clutch? I plan on installing higher gears this winter and may also do the clutch.
Thanks again for the excellent post.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #14
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEdition View Post
Have you tried using break cleaner on the belts or placing them in cat litter or floor sweep compound to remove the oil from the belts.
Robert
Yes. I've soaked it in denatured alcohol, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, gasoline, acetone, and mek. Still slips. They are $59 belts....will sell them both for $20 shipped lol.

Brand new belt works great.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

acetone and a wire brush followed by soap and water?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Lol sounds like a lot of work. I'll keep them around for spares. Might try that though.....but not today
Old 11-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvans View Post
Slonomo that was an great post. Darned thing auto to be posted somewhere in plain sight.
Where did you acquire your comet clutch? I plan on installing higher gears this winter and may also do the clutch.
Thanks again for the excellent post.
I got the 780 from CPP. I ordered it on Mon, got it on Wed. Excellent service there!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #18
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thank you for the reply!!!!!
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #19
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks slo.......... I don't have the cart back together yet so your info comes at a good time.

I'm going to use the same setup I've been using as it seems to work just fine for what I'm doing with it.

Thanks for the great post!
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha