lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
sayulero
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default LED headlight issues with relay installed

I have just finished building up a '98 EZGO TXT gas cart and taken it to Pacific Mexico. Just about everything redone: motor, lift, suspension, steering, deluxe headlight/tail light/turn signal kit.
After having it pretty well finished, I decided to add an ignition switch with an accessories position (so that lights and accessories would not run down the battery if key left on). I also added a 30a relay and wired accessory circuits and head/tail lights through the ignition switch and relay. I jumped the cart ignition circuit so that the motor would remain running until the ignition switch is turned off. After I was all done the LED headlight are extremely dim. I didn't notice this problem until I had trailered the cart 1100 miles into Mexico! Dang!
So now I have to diagnose it long distance. Can any one with better electrical knowledge than me tell me what I must have done to cause the LEDs not to work correctly? I am fairly sure that the lights worked properly before I routed the wiring through the ignition switch and relay. I did not have multi-tester there, but can take one with me next time I go down...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4103.jpg (196.9 KB, 0 views)
sayulero is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
cropduster7
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: LED headlight issues with relay installed

It's kinda hard just looking at wires not knowing where they go. Can you hand draw a simple schematic showing how the wires are connected to everything in the light circuit?
It sounds like the relay is working so the design of your setup is probably correct. Make sure your grounds on the relay and the lights are really clean and tight and check to make sure you are getting a good 12v to everything.
To isolate the relay as the issue, disconnect 87 and 30 and touch them together and see if the lights go bright. If not then you will know it is in the light circuit not the control circuit.
cropduster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
sayulero
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I will be going down where the cart is in a month or so and will take a multi-tester so I can see if there is 12v where needed. When I look into the dim headlight bulbs, there are rows of LEDs and some are bright but most are dim--no pattern to it. Do you know if that is how LED headlight bulbs act when they have too little voltage? Do you think there is any problem due to the fact that I routed the main power to the relay through the ignition switch?
Another problem I noticed is that when I wash the cart, things short out (flasher indicator light comes on, turn signals malfunction, etc.). I found that I can unplug the turn signal flasher (and it is obviously wet), let everything dry, then plug the flasher back in and everything works again. I don't think this is related to the dim head light problem, but not sure.
Thanks for the help and advice....
Old 01-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
crash test dummy

i do not use a relay when doing LED lights
move the turn signal flasher to a water proof area
LEDs are on when there is power (8v ~ 30v) , some rows that are lite and some dim is not good
take lights out or run jumpers and test them on a 12v battery
Old 01-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
sayulero
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Since I don't have ready access to the cart, I can't verify how I made wiring connections--will do that when I go down next time. Attached is a schematic of the components I installed. Perhaps I should start with a diagram of how I SHOULD have wired everything up! Any wiring wizards out there that can help me connect the dots?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4104.jpg (177.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
sayulero
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback Crash Test--is there a reason for not doing LEDs through a relay? There will be multiple people using this cart and I know if I don't have some automatic way of having the lights off when the ignition is turned off, every time I need to use the cart it will have a dead battery!
Wish I was better with 12v wiring....
Old 01-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Ok. Try this. I'm not an expert, but here is how I wired/wiring mine. Also do what Crash mentioned. Verify the LED's work directly first. Also, just a suggestion, take an extra relay with you....sometimes those are bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160115_135710.jpg (180.5 KB, 0 views)
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #8
crash test dummy

you don't need to run a wire from fuse block to key switch
it already has 12v power with key on
also if you are useing acc you will not have power in run

how it can be run

how i would wire it
Old 01-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulero View Post
Thanks for the feedback Crash Test--is there a reason for not doing LEDs through a relay? There will be multiple people using this cart and I know if I don't have some automatic way of having the lights off when the ignition is turned off, every time I need to use the cart it will have a dead battery!
Wish I was better with 12v wiring....
there is no reason not to use a relay , i just find it a part that can go bad , the draw is very little for LEDs
Quote:
Automotive relays are for use in 12 volt electrical systems. Relays are used when you need to switch higher currents than a switch can handle, or when you want to isolate an electrical circuit
put a lighted switch for them to see

Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
sayulero
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I am starting to wonder if maybe I ran the headlight circuit through the acc side of the ignition switch...I will check that first thing.
Thanks to both of you for your help.
Taking prints of all the diagrams when I go!

Tags
dim lights, ignition switch, led, relay, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO