lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
Joeymust91
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Ezgo gas cart fuel issue??

Good morning all. Having a small issue with my ezgo hotrod. Maybe fuel issue but not sure. Last night the wife and kids were riding around for awhile then cart just seem to die out. The motor would roll over but not move like it was flooded. Thought maybe battery was going bad BUT.... this morning it took off and drives like it should. No problems at all. This has happened before and I had to pull the choke and would take off then bog down. Carbs are 100% clean. Checked fuel pump when it all started and was pumping great fuel. Adjust screw on carb is 1 1/2 half turn out. So all that should be good. Any ideas??? Thanks
Joeymust91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 Ezgo gas cart fuel issue??

Next time it happens, take the fuel cap off. See if the tank is pulling a vacuum. Then check for spark.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Joeymust91
Not Yet Wild

I will do that. My thought before was the kids were pushing the gas pedal to the floor all the time. So I had them just ease into it and do 1/4 on the pedal. Still goes as fast. That's what they been doing and problem happened last night. Could something be happening while it's been ridden for awhile and heated up? Kids have been riding it for about 45mins now with no issues. Weird.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymust91 View Post
I will do that. My thought before was the kids were pushing the gas pedal to the floor all the time. So I had them just ease into it and do 1/4 on the pedal. Still goes as fast. That's what they been doing and problem happened last night. Could something be happening while it's been ridden for awhile and heated up? Kids have been riding it for about 45mins now with no issues. Weird.
Not that this has anything to do with your problem but you must still have the Gov on it, I floor mine a lot too from the start and it goes. But I can also run it nice and slow at 1/4 throttle. Without the Gov you should get great throttle response at all levels, Just sayin' and Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
Joeymust91
Not Yet Wild

Crazy question then.... how do you remove the Gov? The problem just started again after hours of use. Spark looks ok but will check it again after it cools off. When it did it this time I pulled the choke out a few times just to get it back to the house.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
Joeymust91
Not Yet Wild

Vacuum on the tank??? Not to sure how that works. Pulled the cap and had no air in it if that how you do it lol.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
Joeymust91
Not Yet Wild

Update... let it cool off. Spark looks good. Cart will go if I pull the choke then let go. Noticed that I have no fuel in the fuel filter.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It's obviously starving for fuel. A clogged vent hole in the gas cap will cause the tank to pull a vacuum. Did you hear a rush of air when you opened the cap?

Another possibility is a clogged fuel pump, or ripped diaphragm.

Does your fuel pump have a little brass screen on the side of it? Sometimes those need to be cleaned too.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymust91 View Post
Crazy question then.... how do you remove the Gov? The problem just started again after hours of use. Spark looks ok but will check it again after it cools off. When it did it this time I pulled the choke out a few times just to get it back to the house.
The easiest way is to remove the cable stop at the throttle lever and push the cable in so it's out of the way..... That is, IF it's set up like an 88 which is the newest one I've done
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Joeymust91
Not Yet Wild

Update. No air came out when unscrewed gas cap. Vent is clear and doing what its supposed to do. Took fuel pump apart and all looks good. No holes in diaphragm. Seems like it's not pumping fuel all that strong out of hose. Can the fuel pump be bad?? Even though the diaphragm are good?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO