lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
bluenberger87
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 is really loud!

What are some of my options to not have it be so loud. I've looked into replacing the muffler but that looks like to be $300-$500 option. Can I cut into it and fiberglass it and weld it back together? How exactly do I do that? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
bluenberger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 is really loud!

A good stock G1 muffler should not be so loud. Is there a leak?

Plowman's muffler is the way to go for a replacement.
https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1564505420&v=2
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
bluenberger87
Not Yet Wild

No Leak, just runs really loud. Runs great and muffler looks to be in good shape and don't really wanna spend the $279 to replace because it runs great. I just wondered if there were options the make it not run so loud.
bluenberger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They are louder than 4 stroke carts but I don't recall the exhaust being that loud. You can cut them open cut the end off, and clean it out, put back together, weld it. Might be able to put some glass packing in there but I don't think they had any. I would guess maybe something is broken in there if its loud. I think plowmans had new ones. Depends on your definition of loud, those the motor/clutch was not quiet either, but overall they were not as loud as the old ezgo.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Check this out:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...r-surgery.html

I swear there was an even more detailed muffler rebuild post in the HD or Columbia section but I can't locate it now. If you get bored you may to look.

G1 mufflers and HD / Columbia mufflers are very similar.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

here is one style g1 muffler cut open. post #33 and #34
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ot-pics-4.html

are sure you don't have an exhaust gasket leaking, a exhaust "sensor" missing or maybe the butterfly valve removed and not sealed properly?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Don Plowman told me that some G1 mufflers had packing in them, some did not. He didn't indicate if it was a particular model year or not, but it's possible. All 3 G1's that I had the mufflers were in good condition, so never had to deal with it. None of them, even the performance Plowman's muffler, were loud at all. They all sounded like quiet 2 stroke dirt bikes. I'm wondering if the baffles are broken inside or rusted away. Usually these mufflers rot from the inside out because of moisture and rapid heating and cooling cycles from the golf courses. Golf course carts never really heat up enough to burn off the moisture, then they sit overnight. If there is rust on the outside of the muffler anywhere, you can bet it's rusted much worse on the inside.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha