lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

Default there was oil everywhere in the engine compartment

'97 ezgo medalist, stock 295 robbins, lifted.

my daughter and i were out riding in the fields the other day. it was quite warm (upper 80's), and we were riding in soft ground (had just been planted with corn a few days earlier). i had smelled gas, but just figured it was from the sloshing around due to the bumps. also, occasionally when it has to work a bit, it can smell a little gassy.

well, tried taking it up a decent hill that i normally can tackle pretty easily, and she just wouldn't do it (tried 3 times). was smoking a bit. my daughter went in to see my parents, and as i started pulling the cart around, i noticed the oil light came on. i lifted the seat up, and there was oil everywhere, and it was smoking.

i rode it down to the barn (it rolled down the hill, i didn't use engine power), took off the oil filter, and like a 2 second dribble of oil came out.

the oil had gotten onto the drive belt and primary, and it had thrown it everywhere, so pinpointing a source was nearly impossible.

i took off the valve cover, and the gasket was patent and in good shape, but there was oil on the other side of where the gasket sits, on the heads wall.

i flushed it with a few splashes of new oil, to wash any shards out, put the filter back on (being sure to seat that gasket well), and put in 1.5 quarts of new oil (lift kit installed). put the valve cover back on (after cleaning the top of the head wall and around the gasket) and tightened it well.

i haven't ran it for very long or very hard since, as i'm paranoid that wasn't the spot. the engine is still smoking, but that may be due to the oil all over the engine from last saturday.

it did drip some oil on the floor in the garage, but again, that could be due to the oil all over the engine compartment. the leaking seams to have stopped, and the oil level is remaining constant, but like i said, now i'm paranoid as hell.

are these things splash lubricated, or is it a pressurized lube system? would it be possible for that much oil to come out of the timing chain case? seems like if it was a crack in the head, or something, it would still be leaking.

i don't want to take it out and ride it hard and have it lose all the oil and seize up on me. i narrowly averted catastrophe as it is, and can't afford to replace/rebuild this engine.

has anyone heard of these things holding their oil until becoming hot? that's basically what this thing did. i'm always checking the oil level, and it was fine before. i took the valve cover off to adjust the valve lashing about a month and a half ago, but it hasn't given me any troubles since.

anyone have anything to add? any tips? am i being overly paranoid now? is the oil getting in the clutch going to be bad for it (i know nothing about clutches)? it is engaging strongly, and seems to be working, but i don't want to run it and have people tell me afterward that i was a moron for running it.
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Ol Jake
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: there was oil everywhere in the engine compartment

Check the breather tube that goes into the bottom of the air cleaner isn't kinked or restricted.

Had a simular thing happen on mine once and that was the culprit.

Ol Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Any time you have a filter you have an oil pump.
I would get a can or two of engine degreaser and clean everything up, let it dri and then run it in neutral and check for leaks, can't find leaks with a wet engine.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Could be a combination of the hill and the lift, such an angle on the motor it sucked oil up the crankcase vent tube. I've been there.

Also when I drain the oil I jack up the rear to make sure it all drains.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

thanks, guys!

yes, stove, there was oil in the vent tube side of the filter box :-/
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
divot61
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ive seen when your dipstick rubber is worn it will work its way out and blow oil everywhere, thats definitely a cheap fix. also blow into the vacuum tube for the fuel pump back into the engine, you might find it has some in it too.
divot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:03 AM   #7
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Saltysteele, Mine did that once forgot to put the oil cap back on oil everywhere, might make sure it is tight and the O ring on it is good. Good Luck
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO