lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Newbie Restoring a G1

So yes...I've never messed with a golf cart before, but I have apparently been bitten by the golf cart bug.

I found this little gem tucked away behind a relatives house and figured why the heck not.

I know it's a Yamaha G1, just not sure what the year is. I checked all the places that I found in other topics for the serial number and the only thing I can find is on the engine where it is stamped:

J1000

I'm guessing 1979 from looking at the serial number chart, but I'm not sure. It is stamped as I typed it and there are no dashes in it (ex. J10-00233). Once I find out for sure which year it is I plan on getting the service manual.

Here are my technical assistants helping me tow it into the garage..

Anyways, I plan on documenting my progress with this beast throughout the whole restoring process. Probably going to take a few months depending on money and time but I am excited. There is a lot of good information on this site and helpful people.
ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Newbie Restoring a G1

So here I go. first off a pic of the engine as I got it.

Doesn't run and the wires scare me Obviously going to need a new wiring harness.

It doesn't run and needs a good cleaning. Everything appears to be there and there are strange bugs crawling all around the nooks and crannies when I move wires. Gotta get a picture of them, the are pretty nasty and look like they have pinchers on them.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
rib33024

Right here on the rear of the cart it's hard to see, but the numbers are stamped in the frame they can't go anywhere

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I looked there but it had some cutting and welding done to it previously in that area and I think it has been removed.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks like the frame rail has been removed/replaced. If the serial number was there, it's gone now. Lift up the body and check along the frame rail where the tops of the rear shocks mount. Some early buggies had it stamped into the frame there.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

or check (is its still there) on the right side of the rear frame ...thats where mine is
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys. I've started tearing it down and I'll check those spots when I get home. Maybe get a picture of the number on the engine.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
chompy
Getting Wild

Judging from the exhaust pipe, solenoids, and floor mats your car is a 1982
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I see no provision for an exhaust valve? Or is there I can't tell, anyway iirc the newer ones came with no valve must have been mid 80s like 85-6.

I'd get a can of degreaser, take the body off, and run a pressure washer on it for half an hour before I looked at anything.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
Ruckus
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuddly View Post
or check (is its still there) on the right side of the rear frame ...thats where mine is
I second that one, I thought mine had to be under the mud flap, then while putting on my rear lift, I spotted it on the right hand side. Not sure if it matters but mine is an 89.
Ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha