lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Eric_H_E
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default new batteries and a couple questions

just bit the bullet yesterday and got 6 new trogin t105s for the wifes ezgo txt. Put them in my self, only cut 1 finger. I have read and printed out for her and me the instructions for breaking in new batteris. My first quesion is, is it normal for there to be a lot of "charging" smell when chanrging. the old batteris did not smell much at all. the first charge on the new batteries about knocked me out this morning in the garage.

the second question is about meters. We donot have one yet and i am planning to order one of the led meters. My question is, how do they work, i mean I have read on here that a 36v pack at full charge is really almost 40v. and if they read 36v they need to be charged. So what does the meter actually show? At full charge all leds lit, at 36v none lit?

thanks

Eric
Eric_H_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
webster
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new batteries and a couple questions

Most meters are easy to install and read. Make sure it is rated for 36v to start with, had a guy try to sell me a 48v and said it would would for 36v also, not true. I have an ezgo model which mounts vertically and when the LED is half down its time to charge according to the battery maintainence guide. They run from 55 to 85 depending on vendor. I paid 55 for mine. IMO stay away from the cheapo chinese made one's on EBAY. I've heard good and bad about those.
webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
just bit the bullet yesterday and got 6 new trogin t105s for the wifes ezgo txt. Put them in my self, only cut 1 finger. I have read and printed out for her and me the instructions for breaking in new batteris. My first quesion is, is it normal for there to be a lot of "charging" smell when chanrging. the old batteris did not smell much at all. the first charge on the new batteries about knocked me out this morning in the garage.

the second question is about meters. We donot have one yet and i am planning to order one of the led meters. My question is, how do they work, i mean I have read on here that a 36v pack at full charge is really almost 40v. and if they read 36v they need to be charged. So what does the meter actually show? At full charge all leds lit, at 36v none lit?

thanks

Eric
not sure if the smell is norml when charging new batteries but i do know mine smelled the first few charges and it seems to have diminished over time. another thing i must suggest is to ventilate your garage I think that smell is explosive if let build up
northwestfarmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Eric_H_E
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

i beleave you are correct about being explosive. I dont know how strong it needs to be, but i think i will open a couple of windows and leave the big door cracked when charging. At least for a while.

Funny, i dont remember the old batteries being that strong a smell
Old 09-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

I got a 36v meter that I took off my cart when I switched to 48v. Yours for $20 shipped, it was factory off a 98 TXT.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

any meter you get needs to checked against a voltmeter... So you know where 75 and 50% discharge are. The led gauges are like gas gauges in so much as they tend to read full, full, full, then when they drop one or two leds you are empty. A voltage readout gauge is like having a voltmeter connected all the time. They do need a voltage supply to run, many of the cheap ones on ebay are 5v operating system... If you go digital get one that runs within a 6 to 12 volt range and follow the install instructions carefully. The led is simpler but needs to be calibrated to use it properly. We all know better than to trust our battery investment to an idiot light
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #7
Eric_H_E
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

i dont beleave i have seen a voltage read out meter. I have seen the leds and anilog (sp?) meters that really dont tell the voltge, the nedle just points to red, white and green. Would like to find someting easy for the wife to understand so she knows when it is time to charge. She has done pretty good so far as to plug it in at night when she is done, but some times she only runs it for 5 or 10 minutes.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
kmartz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Can anyone direct us to digital volt gauge within the 6-12v range that a site sponser my carry?
kmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
aussiecart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I also had some trouble finding a quality digital volt meter. I went with this place.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...block-etc.html
aussiecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
astella3
Not Yet Wild

we are using GWheel maintenance free batteries now.got tired of the noxious fumes
astella3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO