lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default 88 Ezgo clutch or ? trouble

Well, after getting the cart running like a top and having a blast all weekend, she's acting up again - this time if I run it for prolonged time at higher rpm's (3500+) suddenly it will lose a little power then bog down (and slow down)-almost feels like there is something dragging it down like a brake drum binding up or ??? If I stop the cart (or if it does it by itself, which happens too) It'll fire right back up but drives slowly and bogged down like it's pulling a trailer for about 50yds, and will keep doing this until it sits for 15-20 minutes and completely cools off.

Any ideas where to start looking? I have time off the next 2 days, looks like I'll be using it to play with the cart (again)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Ezgo clutch or ? trouble

Silly question maybe, but did you check your brake assemblies and wheel bearings?
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

A huge long shot but.......

Didn't you have issues with a spark plug? Is it possible that the plug is running hot and starting to break down. Then it cools down and runs fine for a while.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the ideas, guys - well I rolled outta bed early to try and get the project out of the way, and it would seem you both have found troubles - now I just need to figure out which is causing my issues!

PCB: The brakes on the driver side are a mess, there's no pad whatsoever left on one of the shoes (but there's also no pieces or ? that could be floating around in there and binding up) - I adjusted that brake back a ways and will see if maybe that was the issue

Dave: The plug is glazing (which leads me to believe it's running hot) and this is the second time that's happened (the last plug I had in there actually fried altogether) ... I'm currently using Autolite 275's (the closest plug I can find around here) - I'm going to jump online here and see what the temp is for these vs the NGK's that are actually specified

Even if neither of these issues are THE issue, thanks a ton for helping me find a few more overlooked details with the cart - I'll keep you guys posted as to how it all works out today
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hmmmm - THIS might explain a few things ... I had her up on the stands and noticed that the engine seemed to be moving when I revved it to higher rpm's, then I noticed WHY I recently had to replace the driven clutch cover (the old one shattered)

The engine mounts seem to be completely shot, so the motor is moving towards the drivers side at speed - badly enough that the clutch cover is actually rubbing on the engine !!! I'm wondering if this obvious misalignment at speed is what's causing the drivetrain to bind up (I can't believe I didn't HEAR something when it started rubbing!)

Here's the mounts, whaddya think, guys - time for a new set?

Does it make sense to anyone that when I run it at high speeds for a bit that it would be binding or ? somehow which is why I'm losing power and/or it feels like I'm driving against resistance?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

With the twin pull brake cable system it's gonna try to pull that brake tight anyway man. When you first start out it won't, but when you hit the brakes you may not have much in the way of brakes as it trys to apply pressure equally so be careful!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Definitely time for some maintenance there bud!

New shoes, maybe a drum and some mounts and I bet you are back in business!

Contact me if you need a source for brakes and drums...I did some hunting a while back and found a good source with a good price.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO