lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
rjracin240
Not Yet Wild

Default Steele hopefully this is on right forum for help starting 90 2stroke

Hi Steele,

Also new to hear and looking for some help from those that are willing to offer it up, I have a 1990 EZ-Go with the Two Stroke. A neighbor gave it to me last summer and said it had noot run in a couple of years but had ran when it was laid up. Just went out to the cart, battery is showing 12.2 volts, solenoid clicks when you throw the ignition switch. Dont see any drop in voltage when pushing on gas pedal. Pedal also is pretty stiff and has to be pulled back after being pushed down. Hoping someone might be able to give me some tips on how to troubleshoot thiis cart. Engine seems to spin freely and seems like it has compression.

Tried starting it last niight, showed 12.2 on voltmeter, no voltage drop when pushing on pedal for gas/start. When turning the key you hear the solenoid click.

Any suggestions on what to move to next
rjracin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Steele hopefully this is on right forum for help starting 90 2stroke

Well , off the top of my head . I`d say we are in about the same boat !!! But we`ll get through this . I have a 89 that has a similar problem. when you turn on the key you get reverse alarm in forward and quits in nuetral and comes back on in forward.But sounds like its dying a miserable death. No crank, NOTHING ,NOTTA !!! I bought the cart like this. It sat outside for i think at least a year.The guy said it quit running and he parked it . that it was ok in that respect then . The carb butterfly came off the shaft and it quit. I did find the trouble shooting procedures for the system. I have an ezgo manual that covers yours and mine.I`ve bought a new carb. but haven`t worked on it yet.Probally the first thing you need to do is free up all the linkage and check that micro switch that is on the linkage just inside the eng compartment down low left side.Had one one time 89 that would not stop cranking at times and that switch was shorted and would not turn off.Yours may be open and not telling the starter to run.just a guess. I can certainly copy the checking procedure from the manual and send it to you I dont know how soon I will work on mine.Right now I`m working on a 93 electric with controller problem. Controller coming back from rebuild shop today or tomorrow.May get out in shop and put it back on over the wk end.Let me know if you need help checking the switch. I can walk you through it . You will need a volt ohm meter or if you dont have one a 12 volt test light will get you by.I`m pretty sure that switch should be closed when you step on pedal and open at stop(when you let off just as it is all the way back) Let me know when you get that far or need help. Rick
steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Steele hopefully this is on right forum for help starting 90 2stroke

if you will go to the top of this forum you will find a gas tech section. go there and scroll down to the thread with the gold stars. tou wind a wiring diagram,atrouble shooting guide and under bennet a parts manual.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The first thing you should do is get underneath with some WD40 and lubricate the pedal pivot points and spring to get the throttle to spring back.
That done many issues can be traced back to a sub par ground connection. The battery negative should go to the frame and it would be a good investment of your time to remove that ground and clean the frame to bare metal. There should also be a ground between the frame and the engine block. Make sure that the wire lugs and the washers are clean and rust free.
The fact that the solenoid is clicking does not necessarily mean that it is working. It is probable that if it has been sitting a while the contacts have corroded. It may also be that the connectors are corroded. I suggest that you remove the solenoid and bench test it. 12 volts across the small terminals should cause it to activate (click) and an ohmmeter across the large terminals should go from infinity to zero as it clicks. If that looks good then clean the connectors and reconnect the solenoid. If you can't get a reliable operation then you probably need a new solenoid.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave is spot on and is giving very sound advice.

Steele...where is the screw for the butterfly??? I would not turn the engine until I knew either where it is, or specifically where it isn't...if you get my drift.
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Steve for LOOKIN OUT FOR ME!!! Someone needs to !!!!!! I`m hoping That its laying on THE CARB side of the reed block with the disc.I turned engine by hand Very slowly back and forth all the way through the cycle.Holds compression good and no sign that it had VISITORS on the piston. Free and smooth all the way! This is good!! I did take off the starter belt . Just in case the system came alive.I was trying to see what all parts I had to round up. Somebody had plans to go in. I found an extra feed block in the glove box.No signs they removed anything.Hopefully I`ll find the pieces and not have to pull the head.Thanks Sooo! Much for tring to help me avoid a disaster. Rick
steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO