lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
mr_dolezal
Not Yet Wild

Default '77 EZ Go Backfiring

I recently bought a '77 EZ Go that runs like a top aside from an occasional backfire. The backfiring happens if I have the throttle down for a while let off then when I push the pedal again BOOM! I didn't think much of it because I have learned to control the backfiring but a friend told me that backfires can cause a lot of trouble so now i'm scared to drive it anymore. I replaced the spark plug, air filter, fuel filter. Any Ideas?
mr_dolezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '77 EZ Go Backfiring

there should be a spring on your throttle cable between the carb arm and the cable stop (it's a little one, almost looks like the spring out of a clicky pen only shorter) - many people forget to put it back on when they pull the cables for whatever reason, and without it your throttle can't completely close, so when you let off the pedal and the spark stops, the engine rotation draws and builds up fuel/air in the engine and when you hit the pedal again and the spark starts, BAM ...

(I hope I explained that well enough)

In a pinch, the spring from a pen will actually do (mine's been like that for awhile now, maybe 6 months) - just loosen the cable stop and remove it, then slide the spring over the cable and replace the stop, adjust and you should be fine
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
mr_dolezal
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a lot for the tip I used a spring from a pen and it seemed to help but it didn't entirely solve the problem. I took my cart out for a test drive and after about an hour of golfing it backfired again when I pressed the gas after coasting pretty fast down a hill, the good news is that instead of the usual cannon fire it was more like a loud poof of air. Any Ideas?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

well, a stiffer (read: CORRECT) spring will help, you want one a little shorter than the pen spring (about half the length) and about twice the stiffness to completely eliminate the problem - might want to swing by the hardware store the next time you're in town.

(I have replaced mine twice so far, I'm always pulling and cleaning my carb and forgetting to put it back until it backfires, then finding myself unable to locate it to put back on - hence my extensive knowledge of the "Pen Spring Mod", hahaha)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
mr_dolezal
Not Yet Wild

I got a stiffer spring and you were right it stopped the problem completely thanks a lot! By the Way I bought new points for the same cart do you happen to know what the points are supposed to be gapped to?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Congrats on the spring, and as to the gap I have to step back here (I'm all too familiar with the pulsar system and all too UNfamiliar with the points style) - I'm sure one of the guys will be along shortly with the info you need, though - also, there are manuals available at the top of the forum thread (in the "sticky" section), you may be able to locate yours and get the factory specs there
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO