lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Convert dual cable shifter to single cable shifter?

I'm looking for info on converting the old dual cable shifter on my 99 Txt to the newer style single cable shifter.

I tried building one using a Morse control & a custom built push/pull cable. But the end of the cable just broke off. The goal was to route the cable around the side of the engine compartment rather than underneath everything, to keep it from getting hung up on whatever sticks, rocks or snow I'm going over.

I'm looking at purchasing a stock EZGo single cable. Finding them on Ebay for around $50. Figured I could use the Morse control I have. And fabricate the bracket near the trans. But would love to see any pics of other designs & how they worked.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Convert dual cable shifter to single cable shifter?

Airjunky, Sure sounds like it should work. I've never tried this type mod. But you might look in the Big Block or the fab. threads and see if anyone in there has ever done it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
rcn11thacr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Air junky,
Did this swap ever pan out? If so, would you please show pics and describe what steps you took? It wouls be nice to do this without having to re-invent the wheel in the process :)
rcn11thacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry, haven't done it yet. Need to as the shifting process is a PITA at the moment.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
rcn11thacr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

10-4
Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Hi Airjunky,
Here is the way i installed my morse controls. one is my homemade cart ,the other is my 2001 ezgo txt. Both are the same design on transaxel, the shift lever is mounted different. The routing is beside or on top of gas tank, no under side cables. The controls shift so smooth..can shift them with my little finger. I have had no problem with breakage. The important thing is to have a 2.5" lever advantage on transaxels shaft. the grip for the control cable is close as possible to the lever..usally about 6". Photos are supposed to be attached. Let me know if you need more info. jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shift1.jpg (516.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg shift2.jpg (449.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg shift3.jpg (462.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg shift4.jpg (411.6 KB, 0 views)
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Jeff,
I did something very similar to your blue cart, using the Morse control & a custom made push/pull cable. I'm not sure why, but my cable didn't survive long. The end near the shifter lever broke..... actually the cable broke right behind the fitting on the end. I've thought about having it repaired at Six Roblees (who made it) but wondered if it would just do it again. One thing about the cable itself, I think that the cable sticks out from the sheeth more than yours is, which is probably what caused it to break.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
jeffrun
Gone Wild

I used the cable clamp type cable, the bulkhead type (threaded) sticks out more and makes it vulnerable to breakage. They do make a heavier duty cable, but does not turn a sharp radius like the 10-32 i am using. By the way, i got the yamaha ifs installed on my hm cart, really looks cool and lifted my cart about 5", will be heading to track next week to test everywaything. Your cart really looking nice with your rollacage and extras.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrun View Post
I used the cable clamp type cable, the bulkhead type (threaded) sticks out more and makes it vulnerable to breakage. They do make a heavier duty cable, but does not turn a sharp radius like the 10-32 i am using. By the way, i got the yamaha ifs installed on my hm cart, really looks cool and lifted my cart about 5", will be heading to track next week to test everywaything. Your cart really looking nice with your rollacage and extras.
Right on, glad to hear your IFS project is getting close to complete! I'd love to see some pics of it when you get to making a build thread.

clamp type & bulkhead type, huh. I gotta admit, I didn't even know there was a choice. I believe the end at the Morse control is laid out very similar to yours. The bracket by the trans is a bit different. I'm wondering if I had him make it with not enough push/pull action. Or if the brackets need to be built so the cable never actually leaves the sheath.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
rcn11thacr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Jeff,
The cable you are using looks like the type B&M uses for the pro stick in my last hotrod. They make very tough shifter cables, designed to handle lots of abuse. They should work like a champ in a golf cart. Thanks for the pics :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO