lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
k9cop502
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Marathon running terrible

I have a 1989 EZ GO Marathon that is used strictly on the golf course.From a cold start, it will crank for up to 2 minutes before it fires up. Then it will run, but only has half the speed it should. Once warm, it takes about 5 seconds to fire, again with reduced speed.There is a very strong smell of gas while it is running.I put on a new fuel filter, new carburetor, new air filter, and spark plug. I have good fuel flow to the carb, and good spark. Also, I still have the Oil Pump connected. Any help is greatly appreciated.
k9cop502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 Marathon running terrible

Ok, do you run this particular cart often?Like is it yours I mean.When is the last time it ran properly.What was done to it directly before it began to run poorly?Did it run poorly all the sudden one day, or was it a gradual loss in power?
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
k9cop502
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it is my cart. The Gas smell has been around for a few months, the loss of of speed was gradual.Noticed a pool of gas underneath the cart yesterday. Not leaking from the new carb i just replaced. Fuel Pump?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Well of course, just start checking over all your lines.Might be a crack somewhere that's just getting worse and worse.Do the simple easy stuff first.Also, if it were my cart, I'd tear that oiler right off and pre-mix at 100:1.Most guys here use 125:1 I think but I like to see smoke.That's not your problem, but you don't want it to become one.

If it started crapping out right after you put the carb on or something, yea I'd say that was most likely it.It's a gradual thing though and it's an old cart probably with the original lines.

Anyhow, if you've checked all your lines well and don't find anything, it could possibly be the fuel pump.I believe when the diaphragm goes on one of those it will leak some fuel into the engine block.After that it might be seeping through the case halves.Conjecture of course.Find that leak is first on the agenda.If you have to, clean the hell out of everything, take it out and run it half an hour or so, and have a good look underneath.

I think identifying the source of that leak is going to give you a good indicator of your problem.Since you put on a new filter and carb, that may have set the cracking of the lines in action.When I tore mine down I was springing leaks all over.Finally I just got fed up and replaced all the line.So take every piece off.If it's even questionable, replace it.It's much easier than walking back, and much cheaper than burning up your cart.

On my 88 I have one rubber piece from the tank, that joins to a metal piece behind the seat, which joins to a rubber piece, joins to a small filter, joins to a rubber line, joins to the pump, pump outlet to rubber piece, joins to another filter, joins to rubber, and finally to the carb inlet.

Another advantage of premixing is that you don't have oil lines in your way.You just take every piece of hardware right off.Oiler off the flywheel cover, lines, tank under the seat.Then for the line on the intake you cut just a few inches before it gets to the fitting on the intake, and jam a screw or bolt in the line to keep it from sucking air.I also believe that you get to eliminate one cable from the carb if you do that.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
jcsk8tr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

what you need to do is imediately remove the oil injectir and premix the gas 128:1 ( 1 oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas) secondly check your belt and see if its loose if so get a new one my belt was loose on my marathon and it took a lot of speed away
jcsk8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
jcsk8tr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

also the fuel leak is coming from the over flow either your bowl needs to be ceaned in the carb maybe the needle or foat is stuck or it could simply need a fuel pump rebuild
Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
k9cop502
Not Yet Wild

Just put a brand new carb in, and ordered a new fuel pump today. We will see how it goes. Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
jcsk8tr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Your welcome but did u get the fuel pump or fuel pump rebuild kit the rebuild is cheaper also make sure to clean the bowl and check the float and needle even if its new its still likely
Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
k9cop502
Not Yet Wild

Put the new fuel pump in today. The cart is now running great. Thanks all for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO