lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #41
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: DIY - 4 x 12v to 6 x 8V Conversion (Part 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcartthing View Post
The obc is programmed to charge the batteries that came in the car from the factory. The algorithm for one brand to another is different. I know on the DS car the obc can be 2 different ones depending if it came with Trojan or us batteries. Not 100 percent sure on the precedent. What I do know is that the charging algorithm for 4x12 is different than 6x8. You should be using a power drive 3 charger with 6x8 because the pd2 doesn't have enough amperage. Or use a power drive 1 charger
OK, the powerdrive 3 is for 48 volt carts and so is the powerdrive 2, right. How would the charger know if its charging 8's or 12's? They have the same number of cells and same volts per cell.

I had a powerdrive 3 and 2 and they both charge at the same amps.

You are also saying that if brand of batteries are changed then the OBC should be changed out as well?

I am not a club car rep, obviously. And I do not know about algorithms for different bats, however, I do know that my charger is taking voltage on bats at end of charge cycle to 64-66 volts. Golfed yesterday and recharged, bats at rest for 12 hours and reading 51.4 volts, seems very normal to me after 6 months.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #42
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

Pd3 max amp is 14.5 pd2 is 13. Version 5.0 obc allows batteries to reach 66v on finish rate. Which is better for the 8v config. I believe 4.0 only allows 63-57 v
golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #43
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

As far as what obc goes with what batteries I'm unsure. I will find that bulletin and post what it says. I'm not trying to push parts, I'm just providing info to help y'all. For the good of the colony lol.
golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #44
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

Good information!
I do have a PowerDrive 3. Perhaps that's why the whole system works flawlessly. I never looked into differences in chargers. And when I talked to the IG software guy... I told him I was using the PowerDrive 3. It is possible he based his information to me on that fact.
Canine_Rescue_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #45
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Since I now have only the PD2 because I sold my PD3 with my old DS cart, I did some research. And yes the PD2 only goes to 15 volt (on the meter guage), usually charges around 13 on the meter and tapers off.

So, I have been watching pretty close. I measured pack voltage shortly after charger shut off and it was at 65 volts. So, I think all is still OK, even with the old OBC and PD2 charger.

If I determine anything different I am going to get a DPI charger and bypass the OBC anyway. So far so good though.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #46
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

I've so busy on other things, I've had little time to play with the cart (sans us using it most every weekend).

The conversion's nearly a year old now and everything's working perfectly... the point, now, is almost mute.
Canine_Rescue_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #47
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a pic I took of the front part of the tub that you have to cut into, and a picture of how my wiring loom was sitting, this cut needs to be done carefully on both sides, but especially on the passenger side as the loom is bigger on this side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BATTERY PIC.jpg (148.5 KB, 0 views)
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #48
cdees_1993
Not Yet Wild

Will this conversion work on a 2006 Precedent? I am considering this with my cart but want to make absolutely sure. Many have told me I do not have room in the 06 to do this. They say there is only room in the 08 and above. Are they wrong or right?
cdees_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #49
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cdees, mine is an 04, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on an 06.
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #50
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

They are wrong. The later 08's came with the electronics relocated and possibly a different tub version leaving room for the 8's. They are right because without cutting your tub they will not fit. Once modified it will work fine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car