lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2021, 04:42 AM   #1
Tinknocker
Not Yet Wild

Default Difficulty shifting

Having difficulty shifting from neutral to forward or reverse. My thoughts are the springs are in the clutch are getting weak. Idle is set as low as possible and stay running. How can I check and confirm?
Tinknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Difficulty shifting

Remove the shift cable from the transaxle and make sure it is either the transaxle or cable. Usually it ends up being the cable.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is it actually closing the drive clutch on the belt? If you take the drive belt off, can you spin the idler bearing on the center shaft easily?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
Tinknocker
Not Yet Wild

Shifts fine when engine is off. Center idler spins freely. It tends to do it more after running awhile. I marked it with a sharpie when cold and ran it awhile it doesn’t seem to return all the way
Old 11-17-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Likely the clutch has some debris in it and the button slides need to be cleaned or replaced.
Not too hard to pop the cover off and check everything out if you have a clutch puller and a steering wheel puller.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #6
Tinknocker
Not Yet Wild

Pulled it apart and found buttons worn out

Thanks for all the help
Old 12-05-2021, 07:23 AM   #7
Tinknocker
Not Yet Wild

Replaced buttons shifts great when cold but after running a little and warmed up still some difficulty shifting. It is better
Old 12-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Maybe back off the idle stop screw just a hair and see if the engine RPM lowers enough so the clutch will fully disengage.
Could still have an issue with the buttons sticking. When you put it back together did you put new springs under all three buttons? That usually makes them stick. I only put one spring under one of the buttons and that usually takes care of any issues with the clutch hanging up.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #9
Tinknocker
Not Yet Wild

Can’t go any lower with the idle After it had run awhile I marked the clutch with a sharpie restarted and revved the engine. The clutch closes slightly ( 1/8” ) just enough to catch the belt. Turn it off and can watch the clutch completely open. I did replace all the springs on the buttons as I found it. Will probably just deal with it for now but will try removing two of the springs should I pulI it again
Old 12-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #10
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinknocker View Post
Can’t go any lower with the idle After it had run awhile I marked the clutch with a sharpie restarted and revved the engine. The clutch closes slightly ( 1/8” ) just enough to catch the belt. Turn it off and can watch the clutch completely open. I did replace all the springs on the buttons as I found it. Will probably just deal with it for now but will try removing two of the springs should I pulI it again
Until you get it figured out you can use the choke like a clutch pedal on a car- pull the choke just enough to drop the rpm’s where it will shift, shift the gear and release the choke. Don’t choke it so much that it kills the motor. Just feather it, takes a little getting used to but it worked great for Me when mine was doing that. Finally was able to tweak the carb enough to idle lower where I didn’t have to do that but it did work as a temporary fix.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car