lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 84 backfire

I just got a 84 2pg that wouldn't run after a new piston was put in. I looked and the piston window was showing in the exhaust port. I turned it 180 and put in a seal on clutch side. I tried starting it and kablooey, my ears are still ringing. I blew my new seal out on the shaft. And no more ether!!!
I checked compression, 120, nice fat blue spark, timing is almost dead on. But on checking TDC, the timing mark on the fan is about two oclock, whereas the timing mark on the fan shroud are about ten oclock. How can that be?
I'm going to check carb out, it has fuel going to it from tank and pump.
Any ideas what else to look for to stop backfiring?
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 backfire

Check if your pulser wires are crossed. That will make it explode when trying to start if they are. Throws the timing out 40 degrees.

I have worked behind people that wire them wrong when installing a new pulser.

Last one I worked on when I tried to start it my dog ran out of the shop :) when I tried to crank it . Hurt my hears also.

I thought ether was used for inflating wide tubeless tires LOL
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Inside the flywheel it was pretty filthy, which makes me think they didn't change the pulsar. The wires were stock with one way only connection, and I didn't see a union on the wires. I thank you for the tip though, I will try to remember this.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Was it running good before piston was installed ?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just talked to previous owner, he said it started losing power, getting slower, so he put in new piston and rings and carburetor.
I didn't get anything done on it today, went fishing.
I'm still confused why the spark occurs at the timing mark which, clocking, is about 10:00, and the top dead center position the flywheel mark is at 2:00.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Does yours still have the OEM coil and Ignitor box ? or has it been converted to HEI ?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:01 AM   #7
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

its the stock system with pulser coil under flywheel
Old 03-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Is your spark plug wet or dry ? I am not sure what you mean when you mention the timing. I know the pulser has to be set sort of in the middle and wires not be crossed. It does sound like a timing issue for it to explode in exhaust. Did you check bottom half of fuel pump for diaphragm being busted ? Maybe something is causing fuel to be dumped into muffler
Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Plug was damp.
I'll check the fuel diaphragm today, for leaks, it pumped previously. Am also checking carb, setting fuel level, cleaning, hoping it works as it is a new one, owner ditched old carb.

Another thing is the muffler has some restriction, in that I hooked the shop vac to one end and it sounds like a hose with a partial obstruction. The last 2cy cart I had to cut open the muffler and take some junk out of it and weld it back to get it to go.

I'm going to check timing again, but I made a sketch of timing question I had. TDC not being close to where the spark occurs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2pgtime1.jpg (37.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

disregard timing mark issue, the flywheel has two tall posts opposite each other, only one is actual timing mark, the dummy one confused me.

I put seal back in. Have vacuum pulses at carb now, fuel pump is pumping. Carb had water. Put new fuel in tank. And still backfiring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO