lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
bugfuzzywormie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default being street legal?

my neighbor calls cops every time we take our cart on road to go to a friends house a little farther down street. we live on a back road that is lighty traveled by cars. one car every two hours ,maybe on a busy weekend. ever since my daughter kicked his daughters as- , they call cops for anything. without going into details my daughter was justified in what she did. ---that being said we live in maryland. mva tells me there is no way to get a golf cart to be legal on road-not possible in md. i know there has got to be a loop hole somewhere so i can do this legally. i have seen some federal stuff, but just like all dot stuff alot of gray areas. i used to run a trucking business that went between md and va. we ran into problems all the time , different laws for different states- even though its all supposed to be federal??right?? in md there is a minimum for insurance---this was easy thru progressive--$7.91 a month. that was easy. they have a insurance min. for this vehicle but wont allow u to register the golf cart!!! WTF ive got to find a legal way around this. i dont care what it costs, i want to be legal. any suggestions????----btw--- nothing better than hearing about a bully getting their butt embarrassed by losing a fight--by the underdog--
bugfuzzywormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: being street legal?

NEVER ask and use the term golf cart! Say you have a low speed vehicle that you need to get tagged for the street and ask what the requirements are for them...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
sunking
Gone Wild

Technically it is classified as a NEV. Which means you will have to have headlights, turn signals, brake/tail lights, seat belts, safety inspection, SMV signs ect.. But the real trick is going to be does your state county recognize NEV's and if they do you will only be allowed to drive on designated roads with 35 MPH or lower posted speed limits.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

another possible option....if it's possible, make it into a "farm vehicle". there has to be a law regarding this. in SC it has to have a shovel and axe attached or on it and one of those safety triangles. I don't really remember to much but I know I have read about it and in my case all I had to do was carry around and axe and a shovel and I was covered under this obscure law. I already had the triangle on it. Of course even if it is covered under one of these laws that doesn't mean the cops won't screw with you but at least you'll have a leg to stand on. here carts are legal on the roads with a sticker from the dmv and ins. so it was a mute point in my case and the cops don't care anyway. I was just checking it out in case someone wanted to say that there was no way in hell my cart is a golf cart. it seems like it might be hard to argue that point if anyone was to see it.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
bugfuzzywormie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

marylands law is very specific. "golf carts are not considered low speed vehicles" that was one of the first roads i tried to travel. the only other option i can think of at this point is to alter the vehicle somehow so i can register it. im still in the research mode at this point. md was also specific to state there are only two exceptions to this law. "deal island" and "allegany county" guess the politicians play alot of golf there. the other girl had 5 yrs karate exp. so called blackbelt..--- my daughter, (self trained) beckie b. is 1-0. kids on school bus call her beckie balboa!!
bugfuzzywormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Here is the MD application for low speed vehicles: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-324.pdf

They also have to comply with Federal Motor Safety Standard 49C.F.R.571.500
Those standards are located here: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=2001&TYPE=PDF

If you have enough information you will likely know more than the police do. They will even appreciate your knowledge and help if you do it nicely.
I'd try to avoid sending Beckie Balboa to explain anything to the police.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

You could always chop down a 55 chevy body ( like the guy in FL did), keep the vin data tag and register it as a 55 chevy. It would be a slow 55 but a VIN number is a VIN number. There is no law (that I know of) that says you can't alter your car or truck.

Of course this will probably get someone in trouble. Me for one for suggesting it. lol
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

A barn find of an old MG or such would be a fun build.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
Technically it is classified as a NEV. Which means you will have to have headlights, turn signals, brake/tail lights, seat belts, safety inspection, SMV signs ect.. But the real trick is going to be does your state county recognize NEV's and if they do you will only be allowed to drive on designated roads with 35 MPH or lower posted speed limits.
BIG difference between NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) and LSV (Low Speed Vehicle).
NEV by it's nature is an electric vehicle ONLY. LSV can be either but is commonly gas powered.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

LOW speed is limited isn't Ess?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO