lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Another lithium conversion questions post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpj View Post
We hung onto our SLR, and I still have a nice circa 1980 component stereo to play me vinyl. Old stuff is our trademark: 1974 Boston Whaler, circa 1950 tiller with a Tecumseh engine, 1989 Volvo 240 as a daily driver, 1964 International Harvester Cub Cadet to mow the grass. Believe it or not, the 2003 CC DS is about the newest thing we own!

Reading this thread, it occurs to me that I may never buy another set of FLAs. Bought a new set of Trojans last summer, and if we get five years out of them, the LI price will certainly have dropped to (or below) the current price of the FLAs.
I disagree to a point. For buying the batteries, FLA may still be the cheapest entry point, but paying only a slight premium for a basically no maintenance battery will be the selling leverage. The premiums of this product such as no maintenance and longer run time and maybe even the ability to replace only one module as opposed to the whole bank, make a higher price much more enticing than buying another set of FLA and worth a premium.
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The premium isn't slight. It's a good 2X. So you don't do it to save $$.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #13
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
The premium isn't slight. It's a good 2X. So you don't do it to save $$.
Premium now is not slight, but I was commenting on the shrinking price. The original post was saying the price of lithium was coming closer to FLA. It is. Especially if you adjust to lifetime hours per dollar.
I again say, prices will drop, and the slight premium you may have to pay will far exceed the price savings.

You can put a DIY lithium setup in your cart for a little less than 2k now. If you get 7-8 years out of it, then you just made it so you can enjoy a maintenance free battery that gives you full power from start to finish, extended run times and is better for the environment. Premium paid is about 75 to a 100 dollars a year.
Prices don't need to come down much before I see that as a slight expense.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Considering where prices were last year at this time, I'd say these are becoming more affordable as time passes. The technology and ease of install provided by sellers (HAC) seems to have improved also.

Hopefully with the Tesla plant in NV opening up soon lithium prices will drop even faster.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A less than 2K setup is going to have limited range as compared to what I have in mine. My cost was more like 3K when you include the charger. Is it coming down? Yes but not that fast. Remember that most of the upgrades available are salvaged batteries not new ones. Availability of suitable batteries is limited. Once availability improves, the cost will come down.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
A less than 2K setup is going to have limited range as compared to what I have in mine. My cost was more like 3K when you include the charger. Is it coming down? Yes but not that fast. Remember that most of the upgrades available are salvaged batteries not new ones. Availability of suitable batteries is limited. Once availability improves, the cost will come down.
Okay but compare apples to apples. If you bought a longer range setup and decent charger, you are getting range of better than 25 miles and a 4-5 hour recovery time. Compare that use to the cost and availability of use to your cart with the same with a set of FLA and you have to be close to a "slight" premium. If not, the problem may not be the cart, but that you over built it. Would it have been possible for you to get the same use out of a smaller pack?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car