lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: What type lithium would I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I personally like the Leaf modules better than Volt but I have not used the Volt modules. You can build up your own leaf system quite easily as the modules are very easy to work with. One problem with Volt is that you can't easily separate the modules from each other. Adding a BMS is not difficult. I don't recommend lithium to anyone that doesn't have some knowledge of lithium battery handling - charging, discharging, etc.
I'm not sure I understand your last statement. Are you staying you don't recommend building a system? or you don't recommend someone replacing their own lead acid system with lithium?

I don't profess to be a battery expert, but I understand the basics of how and and why a BMS works and is necessary. I re-wired my own cart and have done electrical work, both marine and at home. Again, not an expert, but have some basic knowledge.

Are you saying i shouldn't tackle this project? I'm not going to build a system, but buy one like you see in the links above, install a BMS if necessary, and get the right charger. All that seems pretty simple.

The difficult part for me at this point seems to be which lithium battery to buy to match the range of my current cart (with good batts), and knowing whether a used Leaf battery is in good shape.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You're fine with your interest and experience but I have seen folks that do the dumbest things with their FLA carts. You do that with Lithium and it can go badly. I am careful who I recommend doing this themselves. That is what I was trying to say. Many golf cart users do not know enough about batteries and how to care for them. Switching to Lithium for them could be a problem.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #13
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

It's a subject I recommend doing a lot of research on before purchasing.

Not only to gain the knowledge of how lithium differs from lead acid, but also to know which components you'll need, which you'll want and which to avoid.

Personally, I'd go with something that some of the members here have so that we can help troubleshoot with you if necessary.

Someone like Volt_Ampere, who can build his own BMS system and was one of the first members to switch to lithium who still frequents BGW, and also comes across as someone with an EE background, would be better suited going the path least traveled.

I, OTOH, went with a battery and BMS that I knew other members had success with and knew I could get help from those members relatively easy if needed.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express the night before and I just do them...
(And remember, knowledge is a wonderful thing - the more you gain the more you have.....)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #15
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ncpw,

I have a set up very similar to yours minus the lithium battery. I assume your leaf batteries were used. How did you decide which batt to buy? Why did you go all the way up to 58.8?

Also do you think the contractor is a necessity? I have a heavy duty f &r from scottyb.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #16
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I read and researched many threads, websites, youtube, etc on lithium batteries before deciding on the Leaf modules.

I really liked the Volt modules but you could only get them (unmodified) in a 12 cell configuration which would give a max charge voltage of 50.4v. Keeping the cells under 4.2v would give a more realistic charge of around 50v which is less than a fully charged pack of FLA batteries. So if I'm going to spend this money and effort in this conversion I might as well try to get every benefit of lithium batteries that I can, which is why I went with the gen 2 Leaf modules that can be charged closer to 58.4v safely.

Yes, mine as well as everybody else's Leaf batteries are used. When buying Leaf modules make sure to ask the seller how many miles the wrecked car the modules were pulled from, what location (places with higher climates can affect overall health of these used batteries) and what the measured capacity is (ah = amp/hrs). Most modules sold on ebay are advertised as 60-66ah modules, but the measured ah is more than likely closer to 40-55ah.

I bought my batteries from EV Battery Center because they have a great reputation and list the 'as measured' ah of each module they sell. Plus, Nick, who started EV Battery did a lot of testing of these modules in Golf Carts and posted his findings and videos on their website. He worked closely with PingEye3 in that regard so it might behoove you to PM him if you have questions about switching.

Again, I would do a lot of research on these batteries before blindly switching over.

And the reversing contactor isn't really a necessity, but I love it and would never switch back to rotary style.

Read though my thread if you get a chance. Maybe it can answer some of your questions or give you some ideas: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/all-t...de-4-link.html
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #17
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

One thing that I started with in this thread that I still have a question about is range. Current system is 48 volt, FSIP controller, plum quick torque motor. Eight six volt batteries. I assume 100-120AH lithium would be OK. Oh, and NCPW, I may private message you if that's oK. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yes. A lot more in a lithium in regards to usable energy....
Old 01-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #19
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Great, thanks. It seems like there is more new volt availability out there, most already with BMS, which is a plus. I'm wondering how much, if any, torque or speed difference or range difference I would notice if I went with Volt 48V vs. 58 leaf as compared to my FLA batts. Guess I'll have to decide how badly I want to avoid installing a BMS and how much better new vs. used is.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #20
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You can safely use 80% of the lithium power and 50% of the FLA energy. That is a major difference......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car