lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
F-ING HOSTILE
Not Yet Wild

Default Did I trip the BMS on my Extreme Team lithium battery?

I think I might have tripped the BMS on my Extreme Team 72v100ah lithium battery... Are there settings in the Navitas app that I can change to prevent this?

I have a 12' Club Car Precedent with the Navitas 5kw/600 combo, 72v solenoid, and 2ga cables from GCM. I finally got my Extreme Team 72v battery a few weeks back, and it has been insane! Crazy acceleration (even up hills), 50mph, and wheelies. I 've been hot rodding all over our hood for the last couple weeks with zero issues. I've ridden alone (I'm close to 400lbs), with my wife, and with other normal size passengers.

The other day I took a football buddy of mine for a ride (he's 250+). I punched it right out of the driveway, and the motor seemed like it might have stuttered a bit (which it does occasionally) possibly trying to gain traction, and then a few seconds later we lost all power. The cart was dead, and the meter on top of the battery was blank. Also lost connection to the Navitas and Daly BMS apps. I originally thought that maybe I had run the nominal voltage down too low, and that it had just died, but I was pretty sure I was still at 70% charge. I let it sit for 20min or so while I went to get the charger cable and it was still dead. The second I plugged the charger in, everything came back on. The battery was at 70%, which makes me think I may have tripped the BMS. I was able to drive it home, but made sure to take it easy.

Is it possible that the extra weight of my hefty passenger and myself caused the motor/controller to draw too much juice at take off, and shut down my battery?

I didn't change much in the Navitas app after initial install. Both Extreme Team and Navitas suggested choosing "lead acid" for the battery type while they fine tuned the mapping for the extreme batteries. Unfortunately, this is not an option for the 72v lithium. When you select "lead acid" the Nominal Battery Voltage automatically defaults back to 48. You then get a "bus over voltage" fault because the controller thinks voltage on batteries is too high. I went ahead and chose "ExtremeTeam 72V100Ahr" for my battery type, picked "72" for my Nominal Battery Voltage (which automatically defaults to 76.79), and "72" for Main Solenoid Voltage. Selecting these settings automatically set the Battery Discharge Limit at 350a. The only other change I made (other than playing with the forward speed limit) was to set the tire diameter to 23. With these settings it ran awesome, until the other day.

Does this sound like a BMS tripping, or do I have another issue? Is there something I should tweak (other than my weight) to prevent this from happening? I left a message with Blake at Extreme, but hadn't heard anything back. They seem pretty busy, so rather than bug them, I figured I would check here.

Thanks in advance for any help!
F-ING HOSTILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
F-ING HOSTILE
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Did I trip the BMS on my Extreme Team lithium battery?

I talked to Blake at Extreme, and I think I have it sorted out. Sounds like a small tweak and I should be good to go. I can either slightly lower the battery discharge limit in the Navitas app or raise it in the battery (via the Daly BMS app). Might not even mess with it since I had zero issues except for the one time I took Andre The Giant for a ride!
F-ING HOSTILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Did I trip the BMS on my Extreme Team lithium battery?

Thanks for posting an update. At first this sounded eerily like my experience with the Roypow battery that caused me to order the Extreme team battery. On a side note, if you were getting that kind of performance and you are pushing 4 bills, I can only imagine what I will see at half that
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bms, extreme team, extremeteam, lithium, navitas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car