lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Chris11jj
Not Yet Wild

Default Loose wires to Main key switch

Hi everyone, I'm restoring and converting a Yamaha G23A to a Golf cart, I now working on the electrics. Unfortunately the individual wires have come out of the back of the plug that connects to the main switch!

I have four wires (see photos) coming from the loom, the switch position has OFF / ON / and ON with Lights
I've been able to identify which appears to be Power, which is norm On and the Lights wire, (My guess looking at diagrams is that the fourth is a Negative?)

The issue is, I don't know which wire goes where into the socket??? I could just keep trying different sequences but if someone could let me know OR send me a picture showing the back of the plug and which colour wire goes in which location, this would be a great help
This is a 2008 G23A Gas utility vehicle converted to a G22 Golf buggy (yep slightly longer than the G22 but I've been creative in filling the gap. The cart came with front and rear lights which I've updated to LED bulb, can post pics later if anyone interested

Finally, if anyone there can also tell me what the other plug is supposed to connect to - I have nothing with the same shape which looks like a fit, but testing shows me there is permanent power through it
I found the oil pressure warning light had wires coming out of the lamp but they're loose? there's a couple more loose wires I've yet to trace all of which I've no idea where they are supposed to go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ignition wires - plug orientation.jpg (124.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ignition switch wires 2.jpg (109.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ignition switch loose wires.jpg (20.9 KB, 0 views)
Chris11jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Loose wires to Main key switch

Have you tried testing the pins in the keyswitch? One pair should be connected in the "first on" key position, the other pair should connect when key turned to "second on" key position.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
Chris11jj
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I will try when the weather improves here, but won't that still leave me not knowing which is the in and the out? Also Am I right in assuming the fourth is an earth? most connections I've found thus far appear to be in serial, not always negative straight back to the battery.
Apologies my grasp of electrics is rudimentary
Old 06-05-2020, 04:57 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

I know for sure 100% there's no "earth" or "ground" on the keyswitch. I tried the dealer website manuals & it didnt give squat for a G23 (since it's not a "golf cart", but a "utility vehicle"). I'll have to look at my paper manuals at the shop. Sorry if I dont get it too fast, I have to do that "work" stuff while I'm there. I have the manual on paper there tho.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Heres what I found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200605_094936.jpg (119.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200605_094851.jpg (79.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
Chris11jj
Not Yet Wild

Many thanks for the help , I've managed to fix the issue and extend the wiring to take the stretch out all together

I've taken the time to make a simple diagram to help anyone else with the same problem of wires/ pins coming out of the socket going to the ignition switch, please see attached
Old 06-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Chris11jj
Not Yet Wild

Many Thanks CGTECH
Old 06-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
Chris11jj
Not Yet Wild

Hi cgtech,

I figured out that when the key is in position 2 (on with light, the Brown is an earth but to complete the lighting circuit :- as there's plastic lenses I guess there's no earth to from, so the bulbs have to get a complete circuit, hence the second part of the main switch creates that.
Separately, I'm still at a loss to find out what the Green & Black plug go to? As there isn't a matching plug to connect it to anywhere at the top of the l;oom, I'm lost, referring to the circuit drawings you kind;y provided there sin't any direct associated items that have Green AND Bl;ack going to them, therefore I'm assuming it's something connected to teh G23A that's not on the G22A? (Maybe additional lighting????)
Old 06-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

I think you were seeing your ground through the light bulb, even tho the Br wire is B+ from keyswitch to bulb.

As for as "green & black", maybe low oil indicator lamp? Does your low oil indicator lamp work? The sensor connection is on the back of the block, between the primary & secondary clutches. The circuit can be tested by disconnecting the sensor wire at the engine & grounding it to the block (that's what happens when the low oil level sensor float is activated, B- is supplied to the circuit).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha