lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Wiring up a voltage reducer

Hi-
I just purchased a voltage reducer for two headlights because I have a 48 volt cart. It is a 10 amp. Do you think this is big enough for just two headlights? Also, I want to wire it in to the on/off ignition switch on the cart so it will only come on when the cart is on. By the way, I have a 1996 Club Car DS 48v. The switch is on the front near the steering wheel column. If anyone has a wiring diagram to show me how to do this, or to just tell me how to do it, that would be great. Thanks!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
A.D.
Gone Wild

Default Re: Wiring up a voltage reducer

To get total amps, divide the lights wattage by the voltage i.e. 100 watts/12v=8.3amps.
Depending on what Converter you have will determine the wiring, but if you have the same type of converter i have, then see diagram this is how mine is wired. The lead coming from your (+) battery to the on/off sw is already installed by the factory and you can either tap into the other wire coming from the other side your switch or add a new wire. Disconnect your batteries before you start this

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...343-lights.jpg
A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
kustomer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just ordered my light kit yesterday for my 95 model. I haven't got a voltage reducer yet.
kustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

My switch has 3 wires coming out of it. How do I tell which one to tap in to? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

you have 3 wires or 3 lugs/terminals on the back of the switch.? Most Club car stock switches only had 2 lugs/screws...power in, and power out when switched
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yeah, mine has two screws, but one screw has two wires coming out of it. Never mind though, because I just wired it up. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
rdaystrom
Not Yet Wild

There's no need for an expensive voltage reducer in my opinion if your just adding lights. Just wire two 12 volt lights in a series and then wire them across three 8v batteries with an inline fuse of course.
I installed two 12v lights this way on mine and it works great. They run at normal 12v brightness and the wattage is only 100 watts. I understand that a large current draw on only half the batteries would possibly cause a charge imbalance. Two 50w bulbs is not a large draw on those batteries. In fact two 50w bulbs on those Trojans is like a mosquito. I suppose if I were drive hours at a time with full headlights I might need to rotate the batteries to negate any charge imbalance but I use my headlights a few minutes at a time.
rdaystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I actually wired it all up last night, so I dont need anymore advice. Thanks for all who helped!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
impdaddy
Gone Wild
Club Car

So if you only wanted one 12v halogen light , you could wire it across 2 of the 6v batteries with little ill effect? Thank you
impdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
sunking
Gone Wild

Use a voltage converter instead of wiring across two or three batteries. Wiring across batteries will work in the short term, but down the road will cost you big dollars by shortened battery life, and more frequent replacement. So the converter pays for itself and then some.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car