lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Doc
Gone Wild

Default Eliminate Key Switch?

Does anyone have a good way to eliminate the key switch on a '97 DS? I recently installed a new dash console-the one with 4 drink holders in it- and I don't like the way the key fits in it. I removed the key switch, tucked it aside and reamed out the hole to fit the gas gauge (cannablised from a '97 Carryall). The gauge fits & works perfectly where the key used to be and frankly, looks like it should've been there in the first place. Anyway, I'd actually like to eliminate the kew entirely and maybe replace it with a rocker on/off switch? Is this do-able? For what its worth, there is NO security issue involved so that is a non-issue. I'm all ears to anyone with a suggestion!
Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Eliminate Key Switch?

The keyswitch is nothing but a break in the circuit. Any On/off style toggle switch will work the same way.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
kvl1027
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Does anyone have a good way to eliminate the key switch on a '97 DS? I recently installed a new dash console-the one with 4 drink holders in it- and I don't like the way the key fits in it. I removed the key switch, tucked it aside and reamed out the hole to fit the gas gauge (cannablised from a '97 Carryall). The gauge fits & works perfectly where the key used to be and frankly, looks like it should've been there in the first place. Anyway, I'd actually like to eliminate the kew entirely and maybe replace it with a rocker on/off switch? Is this do-able? For what its worth, there is NO security issue involved so that is a non-issue. I'm all ears to anyone with a suggestion!
Doc
Glad you asked, I was thinking about doing the same thing. I'm going to put a plate with LED toggles and one will be the on/off, but I was thinking about hiding a non-common key switch under the seat for when the cart is not safely in my neighborhood.
kvl1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Doc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvl1027 View Post
Glad you asked, I was thinking about doing the same thing. I'm going to put a plate with LED toggles and one will be the on/off, but I was thinking about hiding a non-common key switch under the seat for when the cart is not safely in my neighborhood.
WOW! That's an even better idea...I know there *might* be times when I will indeed need a key switch so this would work perfectly.
Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Bert18
Getting Wild

Club Car

Post a pick of the switch if you do it. I used to have a security chip under my dash that killed the motor, but that's shot. So I'm looking for new ideas.
Bert18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
crash test dummy

i was thinking of putting a key switch instead of the run/tow switch in my girl friends cart

Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
kvl1027
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
i was thinking of putting a key switch instead of the run/tow switch in my girl friends cart

There it is! Thats to best idea so far! W/out a long metal key chain of course.
kvl1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great idea, " Crash "!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Great idea, " Crash "!
I get them once a year !!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car