lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Fortdick
Not Yet Wild

Default Resistors are smoking!

Hello everyone.

I recently did some repair work on a 2003 DS 36v V Glide. I replaced all the batteries and had to replace the V Glide case. The case had cracked loose from the bolts that hold it to the frame.

When I finally got it all together, the right back wheel would spin while the cart was on jacks and the ignition was on. Lowering the cart and attempting to drive it, it was very sluggish and the resistors got hot and started smoking.

I pulled the V Glide to check the wiring and all was correct. I put everything back together and triple checked the wiring and all seems correct. The only wire that is not connected is the orange wire coming from the backup alarm.

Could it be an adjustment problem with the V GLide or maybe the resistor is bad inside? Could really use some help with this one. And if anyone knows where that orange wire terminates, I would appreciate some advice.

thx
Fortdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Resistors are smoking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortdick View Post
Hello everyone.

I recently did some repair work on a 2003 DS 36v V Glide. I replaced all the batteries and had to replace the V Glide case. The case had cracked loose from the bolts that hold it to the frame.

When I finally got it all together, the right back wheel would spin while the cart was on jacks and the ignition was on. Lowering the cart and attempting to drive it, it was very sluggish and the resistors got hot and started smoking.

I pulled the V Glide to check the wiring and all was correct. I put everything back together and triple checked the wiring and all seems correct. The only wire that is not connected is the orange wire coming from the backup alarm.

Could it be an adjustment problem with the V GLide or maybe the resistor is bad inside? Could really use some help with this one. And if anyone knows where that orange wire terminates, I would appreciate some advice.

thx

Does this help.

36v%20wiring-colors.jpg
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

White is first speed coil
Orange is second speed
Yellow is 3rd
Green is 4th
Blue is 5th
Black bypasses the coils and goes straight to the motor

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00706.jpg
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not sure if the above two post apply to your cart as I found the info from another site. I'm not familiar with this type of setup and thought I would at least post this info.

This is from the sticky.

8803vglidecoils36vzi9.jpg
Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Fortdick
Not Yet Wild

I have used both diagrams to check wiring and I seem to have it all correct. I just went out to look again to makes sure. I seem to be no closer to a solution.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Fortdick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Does this help.

Attachment 71443

This shows the orange wire going to the charger recepticle. That really makes no sense why the backup alarm would be wired to the same terminal as the charger post fuse terminal.

All the V Glide wires seem to be correct.
(clockwise)
White from resistors and white from solenoid to the first post
three empty posts
orange
yellow
green
blue
black
Old 08-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortdick View Post
This shows the orange wire going to the charger recepticle. That really makes no sense why the backup alarm would be wired to the same terminal as the charger post fuse terminal.

All the V Glide wires seem to be correct.
(clockwise)
White from resistors and white from solenoid to the first post
three empty posts
orange
yellow
green
blue
black
I'm not sure if the diagrams are the correct ones. I would wait for someone with knowledge of this setup.. Don't want to point you in the wrong direction.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

While we wait for somebody with intimate knowledge of the 5 solenoid carts... put it on jack stands and see if it operates correctly and that the solenoids click in the proper order from the drivers side to the pass. side
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

hang on i,m getting confused.....a 2003 cart right? than it has to be a single solenoid controller cart right? so it wouldn,t have the resistor speed coils it has little resistors on rear of v-glide......or am i missing something? if i read the 1st post right i would think the single solenoid is stuck therefore letting cart run wearing batteries and making heat.........................if it does have resistor speed coils same thing solenoid is active for some reason and that would heat speed resistor coils up also........start with solenoid and microswitch in V-glide that activates solenoid......one or the other is bad.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Fortdick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
hang on i,m getting confused.....a 2003 cart right? than it has to be a single solenoid controller cart right? so it wouldn,t have the resistor speed coils it has little resistors on rear of v-glide......or am i missing something? if i read the 1st post right i would think the single solenoid is stuck therefore letting cart run wearing batteries and making heat.........................if it does have resistor speed coils same thing solenoid is active for some reason and that would heat speed resistor coils up also........start with solenoid and microswitch in V-glide that activates solenoid......one or the other is bad.................................
Thanks again Shadowman.

It does have coils behind battery compartment and a sinlge solenoid. I was thinking it was one or the other. My only concern was that maybe when I put the new case on, the wiper arm of the V Glide was not making proper connection and needed adjustment or something.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car