lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
Snyds
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Default 1971 Model D needs service

Greetings,

It's been a while since my last post. To get you up to speed, the last responses to my postings here was that I likely had a fuel supply problem. I wasn't able to get the car running after cleaning the screen in the dome/top of the carburator.

Some one questioned the compression, I'm getting 80-90lbs.

I then replaced the carburator with a $24.00 carb from the Internet. I made no adjustments, I just put it on.

It starts and runs, poorly, but it runs. I'm Not a gear-head so I don't know how to go about tuning the carb. 1st it's so hard to get at, I can only see 1 set screw and I am not sure if I can even get a driver on it to turn it. What's the secret??

Anybody know of a service dealer in or around the Northern Chicago area that will work on a 1971 Harley Davidson Model D 3-wheeler? So far the 4 I contacted don't service these, and didn't know who might.

Thanks for your help,

Bob
Snyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1971 Model D needs service

Unfortunately, you'll probably never find anyone to work on that professionally. These old HDs are just very different from modern carts. Mechanics don't want to learn how to fix them since, as there aren't many left, there is no business to be had. For cart mechanics, there aren't enough carts left to justify learning how to fix them. You are probably best resigning yourself that you are going to have to go it alone.

Your compression should be good enough. I have put a couple of new carbs on carts and have never had to adjust the fuel. Unfortunately with those Tillotsons things are tight so you have to flip the starter to get to the adjustment.

Did you monkey with the timing at all yet?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Snyds
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1971 Model D needs service

No, I didn't do anything with the timing, wasn't planning to.

One mechanic I spoke to said lack of parts is why they don't service the HD's, I've had no problem finding parts so far, I even found cylinder and piston sets available.

Thanks!
Snyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson